I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, January 04, 2008

The unfamiliar faces of Matt Costa

As soon as I was about ten seconds into this new video from Matt Costa, I already knew that yeah, I was gonna have to post it. When he steps in front of the panorama of the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, where I have spent many a 25¢ Ride Night during the long hot summers of my teenage youth, I fell. This brand new video is for the playful lead-off track from Matt's upcoming second full-length album, Unfamiliar Faces (January 22, Brushfire Records).

"Mr. Pitiful" is the earcatching opener to a bright and largely effervescent album, but a collection that also finds Matt journeying into territory that is a bit deeper and richer. I heard more variation between the songs than in albums past, but he still maintains that enjoyable California vibe.

This video is directed by the Malloy Brothers, and casts Matt as a marionette-like one man band, travelling the well-known beaches, bridges, and thoroughfares of Santa Cruz and San Francisco. I can testify that walking across that train bridge at about the 1:30 mark is a bit unnerving (if it's the one I am thinking of) because it's just an open trestle. It made me smile to see it again.

And it's also a testimony to both of those wacky cities that I love that no one hardly bats an eye at the dude jivin' down the street wearing a big drum and a bowtie.

MR. PITIFUL - new video from Matt Costa
(click the yellow play circle)







And here's a bonus Friday goodie for you: a new slowburn song from Costa that feels like an orange sunset to me. It's one of my favorites off Unfamiliar Faces so far.

Never Looking Back - Matt Costa


Matt is on tour all over the place in the coming months with Johnathan Rice and Delta Spirit supporting.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At January 04, 2008 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great video! it's always such a vicarious thrill to see santa cruz in stuff, but capitola!!! I stayed at the venetian once, i drive across that concrete bridge all the time, and you're right - that is just an open trestle. I've walked across it too. It is scary!!

also, thanks for the pearl jam christmas tracks, those made my day! will never forgive my mom for not letting me go with you back in '95... ;-)

hope you are well!

 
At January 04, 2008 6:05 PM, Blogger bem said...

i hope the orange sun sets on your head

 
At January 05, 2008 9:39 AM, Blogger feisty said...

love this- i immediately started to download almost every one of his songs!

PS when my husband and i are in our late sixties, with no money to travel because of my iTunes/Amazon habit, i will have your blog partially to thank :)

 
At January 17, 2008 9:26 PM, Blogger Asian Kid A said...

just want you to know that I put an order in for Matt Costa's new record partly on the fact that I skimmed through your blog about him

 
At January 24, 2008 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's touring with Johnathan Rice?!?!?!

OMG thats awesome. i fell in love with johnathan after seeing him open for jenny lewis.

It doesnt get any better than Johnathan Rice and Matt Costa.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter