I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Teal waves crashing

This is the view I've been enjoying recently, and this morning I went for an exhilarating run along this coast where the whales are spouting and the teal waves are crashing. There are a few really good runs I remember; one was on Victoria (British Columbia)'s coast in May of 2005 overlooking the ocean, my run from this morning will join that memory as one of the finest. It's humid here, so sweaty after my run, I dove into the ocean and did some swimming while flirting with the power of the waves. It's good to feel small and part of something so large and unpredictable sometimes. I am coming to the conclusion that learning to surf would be one of the most amazing things ever, and I am tempted. My balance that way isn't very good though -- my tailbone still aches just thinking about the time I tried to learn snowboarding.

I haven't been listening to much music other than the lush cacophony of birds teeming in all the trees here. I can hear it as I fall asleep and from the moment I start to push out through the haze of sleep in the morning. Just three days removed from my Colorado winter, where nothing breathes or even smiles, my head spins a bit from all the verdant life here.

There was a little bachelorette-type thing last night at the Sheraton, where we were lucky to see some really good middle-aged dancers bringing sexy back on the dancefloor, but the wedding festivities for my relative begin in earnest tonight, with the ceremony tomorrow night. I hope they put a pig in the ground to roast (vegetarians, have at it in the comments). And I think some of us are heading now to the little town of Koloa up the road, where we might just have Lappert's Ice Cream for lunch. Because I'm on vacation, and I can do that.

2 Comments:

At January 13, 2008 6:09 AM, Blogger C. Ford said...

" where nothing breathes or even smiles"

Nice Ryan Quote there...although I hope you aren't so keen on quoting the line following it...

 
At January 15, 2008 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you agree about the wicked coast in Victoria, BC. (I'm from here). Keep up the great blog. Love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter