I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, January 12, 2008

The return of Seven Mary Three

Surely you could've guessed that I loved the Seven Mary Three album American Standard when it came out in 1995. This band from Williamsburg, Virginia surged onto my radio with the heartfelt gravelled vocals, the 'everything-you-got' choruses, the big guitar riffs. It was all very of the moment, but they also had a rootsy-bluesy vibe to many of their songs and I still love that album thoroughly.

I listened to that CD until it skipped and jumped from scratches, and played the cassette that I made for my car all through at least 2 long hot summers. "My My" still pummels me relentlessly and it still makes me want to jump up and yell something when I hear it, and "Anything" has that great bassline and the doomed young love affair; it's all very serious. But earnest. If you've never heard anything but "Cumbersome":

My My - Seven Mary Three
Anything - Seven Mary Three


In the intervening years, rumor has it that they've released some very good other albums, namely Rock Crown (1997) and Orange Ave. (1998). My pal Kyle just sent those over to me with his comments on why I should love them, and I am looking forward to filling in the gaps. Someone also once told me to check the bargain bins for their 2001 release, Economy of Sound, but each time I've tried, I come up empty handed. I'll keep tryin'.

The fun news from my inbox is that Seven Mary Three is still at it, and back in 2008 with a new record called day&nightdriving (Bellum Records, February 19). Their sound still pleases my ears.

Last Kiss - Seven Mary Three

Hear one more new tune "Was A Ghost" streaming here.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At January 12, 2008 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROCK CROWN is one of the little known gems of the 90's. I'm on my 3rd copy.
Great blog...

 
At January 12, 2008 8:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Um, is there any irony in their early (unwarranted) comparisons to Pearl Jam and this single being titled "Last Kiss"?

Yes, PJ's is a cover version ...

Sounds like every other pop-rock band out there ... no offense but absolutely nothing special here. Pretty shocked it made your otherwise stellar blog.

 
At January 12, 2008 11:19 PM, Blogger Mr. Nickerson said...

I was just wondering if 7M3 had some new stuff coming out. Love their music, especially the mellower stuff. We were driving back from the city today when "Punch In, Punch Out" came on the iPod...

I actually have a mix I call "Mean Mr. Mustard" in my classroom that is just the mellower stuff, so most of Rock Crown!

 
At January 13, 2008 9:23 AM, Blogger Jason said...

Wow! I'm thrilled to see that they have a new album coming out. Thanks for the post. You should definitely pick up those other albums though. If you can catch them on tour they put on a hell of a show and they tend to play smaller venues so the settings are usually pretty intimate.

 
At January 13, 2008 3:23 PM, Blogger Pete P. said...

Uggh, I really hate the singer's voice and singing style. I think it is a cultural difference somehow, over here in Europe we just don't "get" this kind of music.

 
At January 14, 2008 7:16 AM, Blogger Amber said...

I've always loved 7M3 and "Rock Crown" is a great album. Even though they're my friends on MySpace, I didn't know this album was coming out. Thanks for the heads up!

 
At January 15, 2008 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Water's Edge is practically my karaoke song. Never really heard much from them since the late 90's, so it's good to hear they are making decent music.

 
At January 15, 2008 1:56 PM, Blogger JJ said...

Yes, I figured out how to get on your blog at work. Thanks Google cache!

 
At January 15, 2008 9:11 PM, Blogger Asian Kid A said...

maybe I am going crazy but they sound different. For some reason when I think of Seven Mary Three, I hear the guy from Nickelback singing (even though I absolutely should not be thinking that because Nickelback is just terrible IMHO)

 
At January 17, 2008 1:02 AM, Blogger fairest said...

Pete P. -- over here in America we don't get this kind of music, either. This music reminds me of frat boys who want to be my friend because I seem critical.

 
At January 22, 2008 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was so excited to read this post a few weeks ago. I've been into 7M3for a years and have added a few nice obscurities to my collection over the years. They have been in hardcore rotation on my iPod the last week as I'll be seeing them live on January 24, in La Crosse, WI.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter