I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Aloha and mahalo

In the bleak midwinter, we all need some sunshine. By the time you read this (by the wonders of modern publish-by-proxy technology) I will be suspended somewhere over the Pacific Ocean, heading to Kauai. I will probably be listening to this mix (on my new noise-cancelling headphones) to wash away the ice and stress of modern life and prepare for some island revelry. I am staying here. Aw yeah.

These tunes capture a slice of the island/surf/sun lifestyle for me, and will be my soundtrack until Tuesday. The mix starts with a lovely little Ed Vedder tune on ukulele, because every single thing about this song is exactly what I would want for my Hawaiian vacation when I close my eyes. Plus it's my island soundtrack, and there's a lot of Vedder on my island.

LONELY CLIFFS AND WATERFALLS HAWAII MIX
You're True - Ed Vedder
Hawaii Five-O - The Ventures
Islands - Cat Power
A Flash of Green - Pollo Del Mar
Sweet Leilani - Chris Isaak
Island In The Sun - Weezer
Torpedo - Hawaii Mud Bombers
Island Life - Ethan Elkind
Surf Beat - Dick Dale & The Del-Tones
Hawaiian Sunset - Elvis Presley
Pipeline - The Chantays
Honolulu - Any Trouble
Gold Finger - Blue Stingrays
Constellations (live at Kokua) - Jack Johnson & Ed Vedder
Liver Splash - The Meters
Surf Rider - The Lively Ones
Oceans (live in Honolulu) - Pearl Jam
Theme From "Endless Summer" - The Sandals
Stay Young - The Farmhouse Band/Shelter surf DVD
Hawaii 78 - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

ZIP: HAWAII MIX


Be good, kids.


For more Hawaiian music, check this excellent podcast: http://hawaiianeye.blogspot.com/

9 Comments:

At January 10, 2008 12:40 PM, Blogger JETHRO said...

JEESH, YOU LIVE QUITE THE LIFE.... LIKE A ROCK STAR!

 
At January 10, 2008 5:05 PM, Blogger daryn said...

yay, i'll be in maui in two weeks. Now I have a soundtrack!

 
At January 10, 2008 7:31 PM, Blogger Mojo said...

YEAH!!!

exactly what ive been pinin for.

 
At January 10, 2008 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for choosing the Chantays version of "Pipeline". Usually when I hear this song it's the Ventures version, which isn't as good (in my opinion).

 
At January 10, 2008 9:58 PM, Blogger Robert Cass said...

What, no "Magnum, P.I." theme? Thanks for the mix and have fun in Hawaii. I'm jealous.

 
At January 10, 2008 10:58 PM, Blogger lbc said...

Check out the Na Pali coast Heather, it's amazing. The boat trip from the south is totally worthwhile and there is a great 13 mile hike from the north. When I was there last summer I wanted to run into Eddie in one of the north coast towns, but no such luck (apparently Bette Midler owns half the island!).

 
At January 11, 2008 9:30 AM, Blogger Eric S. said...

I must admit, I'm slightly surprised...

No Don Ho & Tiny Bubbles? ;)

 
At January 11, 2008 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was in kauai two months ago -- i stayed at the resortquest and apparently they host the best luau in town. definitely check it out.

also, the local coffee shop in kapaa has a great vibe and i met some amazing hawaiians there.

 
At January 11, 2008 10:10 AM, Blogger Kid Charlemagne said...

keep in mind that if you are in Oahu, that swap meet at Aloha Stadium is sat, sun & wed.

there you can buy all the touristy knicknacks etc. at better prices than all the tourist traps...

including sending a coconut postcard...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter