I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Stereophonics at Kelly's mum's house in Wales

The Stereophonics recently played a set for the BBC 1's Live Lounge series, starting with an interview at Kelly's childhood home in Wales, followed by a show at the Cwmaman (no, I don't know how to say that) Men's Club where the band had played their first show way back in the day.

The band covered the Foo Fighters song "Best of You" during the set, and after hours of fighting with the stream on the BBC site, I finally found this unofficial blog that had just the tune I was gunning for. Tonight this just seems like one of the saddest, most melancholy songs I've heard in a long time; Kelly sings like he's a staring off a million miles away. Each lyric gets at me tonight. Clearly that's also by virtue of the strength of the original songwriting here that glows through the ache.

On this version you don't get the Grohl-screaming but you get at the core in a new way.

Best of You (Foo Fighters cover) - Stereophonics

That site also has an mp3 of their performance of "Local Boy In The Photograph," which feels fitting for the setting. And on a lighter note, here are a few more pics from the whole silly junket:

Beryl and Oscar (aka Mum and Dad) charmingly have a few Stereophonics videos in their collection, behind the ceramic elephant and the piano school tote bag.

Kelly's mum telling interviewer Jo Whiley about the mullet that Kelly rocked when he was younger . . .

Said mullet in the sunset. Hot.

Their live set at the Cwmaman Men's Club.

The full photo slideshow is here

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At December 19, 2007 5:16 AM, Blogger Pete P. said...

Great version of a fantastic song here! Kelly Jones's voice is nicely soft in this.

How do you guys interpret the lyrics of Best Of You? I might get them wrong 'cause English is not my first language...

But I sort of like to think that the message is actually that someone *should* be getting the best of you. Not in a bad way, like stealing your energy and potential, but in a way that your life makes more sense if there's someone special for whom you want to try your best?

 
At December 19, 2007 6:38 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Whoa, cool, that's a good cover, and a fantastic site - there's a bunch of really good covers up on there.

 
At December 19, 2007 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its pronounced 'cum-braan' btw..

 
At December 19, 2007 7:27 AM, Blogger Todd said...

Heather, it's nice to now there is someone else in the US up on stereopnonics news.
Have you heard the whole show, interview and all? do you have acccess to it?

 
At December 19, 2007 8:43 AM, Blogger heather said...

Pete P., since you asked, I do have some opinions on the matter:

My two cents? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I've always interpreted it as a song about an old girlfriend, wondering what she's doing now and where she is. I definitely see jealousy, throughout and especially when he screams at the end -- because someone ELSE is getting "the best" of her. The relationship itself wasn't great (I needed somewhere to hang my head without your noose) and maybe she makes poor choices now that she’s out of the relationship with them (were you born to resist or be abused?) but still he wonders who's getting the best of her now.

Anyone else?


Best of You

I’ve got another confession to make
I’m your fool
Everyone’s got their chains to break
Holding you
Were you born to resist?
Or be abused?
Is someone getting the best of you?
Or are you gone and on to someone new?
I needed somewhere to hang my head
Without your noose
You gave me something that I didn’t have
But had no use
I was too weak to give in
Too strong to lose
My heart is under arrest again
But I’ll break loose
My head is giving me life or death
But I can’t choose
I swear I’ll never give in
I refuse
Is someone getting the best of you?
Has someone taken your faith?
It’s real, the pain you feel
Your trust?
You must confess
Is someone getting the best of you?
Has someone taken your faith?
It’s real, the pain you feel
The life, the love you’d die to heal
The hope that starts the broken heart
Your trust? You must confess
Is someone getting the best of you?
I’ve got a another confession, my friend
I’m no fool
I’m getting tired of starting again
somewhere new
Were you born to resist or be abused?
I swear I’ll never give in-I refuse
Is someone getting the best of you?

 
At December 19, 2007 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always loved this song (foos are one of my favorites!) but this cover is fantastic! Anyway I can download this song? (I'm not blog savy yet)

 
At December 19, 2007 11:43 AM, Blogger heather said...

Lindsayjean - on a PC you right click and do "Save File As." Not sure on a Mac.

 
At December 19, 2007 2:55 PM, Blogger Beth said...

Well worth a listen, eh?
x

 
At December 19, 2007 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome awesome! Thanks a bazillion! (we'll have to figure out how to save on a Mac though...I just saved it to my work computer and emailed it to myself!)

 
At December 22, 2007 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic.

you pronounce cwmaman "cum am an" (cwmbran is a different place paolo :)).

phonics forever!

 
At December 25, 2007 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how Kelly is drinking from his Da's mug :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter