I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, December 08, 2007

John Lennon's last interview

Twenty-seven years ago tonight, John Lennon was shot and killed by crazed nutjob Mark David Chapman outside the Dakota, under an archway that I just walked past in October, feeling a little odd at its normalcy under the bright New York City sunshine that day. This photo still creeps me out, Lennon signing a copy of his new Double Fantasy album for Chapman, hours before he would come back for Lennon with a revolver. WTF.

Earlier that day, Lennon recorded 75 minutes of radio broadcast content alongside Yoko Ono in the offices of Geffen Records to promote Double Fantasy. The full interview is now available through Synergie OMP, and you can take a listen to part one -

Interview Part One (Dec 8, 1980) - John Lennon & Yoko Ono

Buy John Lennon Testimony in the digital-only release through:
iTunes OR eMusic

You may also enjoy this post from 2 years ago, the 25th anniversary of his death. I've re-upped that song on there; it's still one of my favorite John Lennon recordings, a honest and raw demo of "I Know".

On a personal front, thank you for all your notes of encouragement and prayers for my uncle. "Guarded optimism" were the words of the day yesterday; although it's still critical and unsure at this junction, at least things are not still declining. I sat with him and sang for two hours last night; hopefully in some small way that helped.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At December 08, 2007 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember this like it was yesterday,in a way.It was the destruction of a human life on a level as senseless and absurd as any other.It was also the end of a dream for so many and its cruelty still debases us.

As a teenager in the UK at the time there was a television detective series playing called 'Shoestring' and a Christmas themed episode , a day or two later after the shooting, ended with the playing of 'And So this is Christmas';the haunting opening lines ' And so this is Christmas and what have you done?' broke me
in two.

The version of 'I know', that you so rightly adore, typifies Lennon's honesty and courage, battling his demons.

We all shine on.

 
At December 08, 2007 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out some of the old interviews he did for radio shows in the 70's theyre pretty good to

 
At December 08, 2007 10:52 PM, Blogger allison said...

I just came across your blog tonight and I've been reading over some older entries-- I love it! You have great taste in music and I'm definitely bookmarking this one! :)
-allison
http://musicalmoxie.blogspot.com/

 
At December 09, 2007 5:30 PM, Blogger Lord Byron said...

thanks for the post, you're the best.

byron

 
At December 10, 2007 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, as always. It never fails to blow my mind when people point out relevant historical events that pass by. For instance, while this past Saturday was the 'anniversary' of the death of Lennon, the day before was Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day (I actually had this discussion with a friend recently, and pointed out that this year marked the 60th anniversary of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August. Sorry, I just finished a research paper on the subject, had to share...)

I'm not sure if pointing these things out are supposed to make us try to be more aware, or simply appreciate the past more. Any thoughts?

Finally, I'm glad that these keys, bytes, bits, pixels, etc. can in some way help you cope, and if nothing else else distract you from what's going on, Heather. ...Even if you are a Giants fan...

All my best,

Steve

 
At December 10, 2007 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved John, he was a real hero to me growing up. Still sad that he's gone. That interview is so cool--"I still believe in love and peace and hope, y'know?"--and he was just comin' back.

sigh

Nice to sing to your uncle--I lost my mom last month, we took turns singing to her in hospital, so sweet. Beatle songs, too! Mostly Paulie tho, not John's. Paul's were her faves: Yesterday, If I Fell, etc

Thanks again for ur great blog...

 
At May 28, 2008 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and a great interview.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter