I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

New song from The Damnwells: The Bastard of Midnight

After listening to the Damnwells demo "She's The New York City Skyline" about, oh, a thousand times on my recent sojourn out of Dodge, I was stoked to click onto their MySpace page from the kitchen table of my friend Jenn's apartment in Queens and hear a brand new song streaming.

"Hey what's your number Chicago?
What time is it in Japan?"


I first listened to this while watching the morning greyness outside her 6th floor window, half-contemplating what would happen if I climbed out onto the fire escape to feel the cool air. It's a sweetly melancholy acoustic tune with a falsetto chorus of aching vulnerability, perfect for finding yourself in some strange, new city.

I was all set to post a ripped copy, but then The Damnwells were so kind as to send me this spiff mp3, so a thank you to them:

The Bastard of Midnight
- The Damnwells






No new tour news or album news from The Damnwells but for the love of all that's good and holy, try to find a way to see their documentary Golden Days. Recommend it to your local film fest, or music channel, or whomever will listen. It's a piercing story full of musical heart -- a film that should be seen.


[top photo credit Heather Conley]

Labels:

5 Comments:

At November 06, 2007 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurrah! I am seriously starting to slowly fall for this band.

 
At November 06, 2007 6:57 PM, Blogger javboy said...

Great song.
I love the Damnwells.
Thanks for sharing!

Ben
www.javboyrecords.com

 
At November 06, 2007 11:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just gave this a listen and, at a point in time that's not my absolute greatest, it has instantly made me feel that everything's going to be okay.

Isn't it funny how songs about heartbreak and loss can do that to you?!

 
At December 12, 2007 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I somehow stumbled onto this page..probably by searching for ways to hurt 'bastards'...lol

Happy to learn of the Damnwells & hope to hear more, this song was food for my soul:)

 
At January 08, 2008 7:53 AM, Blogger Jenn M. Gates said...

trouble keeps the bar lights on for your heartache...

I'M IN LOVE WITH THIS SONG. The Damnwells are amazing. i saw them with Blue October in Columbia, MO at the end of 2006. been in love with them ever since! way to blog about them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter