I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

CONTESTS: Brit Box winner, plus some Sex & Drugs & Rock n Roll

The Brit Box competition was fierce and heavy, neck and neck. The randomly-selected winner from all the wonderful entries was a "vklj" who said that Common People changed his life. Here's to hoping the Brit Box is more of the same for you, vklj, and please be in touch with your mailing address.

I have a new contest to launch today. Have you heard the quirky, snarly, danceable-punk Cockney perfection of the Ian Dury song, "Sex & Drugs & Rock and Roll"?

To celebrate the 30th anniversary of the entrance of this song and phrase into the lexicon of great English contributions to modern culture, Demon Edsel is issuing a numbered limited edition 7" single on orange vinyl of the song with a "specially colourised version" of the original picture sleeve (wherein he is looking oh so Lou Reed, if you ask me). The b-side to this 7" is "Close To Home," a recording from January 1977 which was only ever issued on an NME cassette in 1981, and has not been re-issued since. Sah-weet!

I have three of these nice little 7"s to give away. Leave me a comment if you would desire the goods.

Sex & Drugs & Rock And Roll - Ian Dury and The Blockheads

STREAM THE LIVE VIDEO:
Real or Windows Media

On the same label, also check out the re-issue of Ian Dury's first album under his own name, New Boots & Panties (two things we can be grateful for in this mad, mad world). The CD reissue is paired with a DVD that captures Ian Dury & The Blockheads live on BBC's Sight and Sound In Concert series, recorded at Queen Mary's College on December 10, 1977. It's a rare performance that has been languishing in the BBC vaults (along with who knows what all else good stuff) for nearly thirty years.

Ian Dury on MySpace

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At November 28, 2007 1:35 PM, Blogger Steve said...

The first time I ever heard Ian Dury was on some live album that I can't remember the name of. Ian and band did: "Hit me with your Rhythm Stick". So, Please 'Hit me' with some cool Blockheads vinyl

Steve

 
At November 28, 2007 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
I've seen Ian Dury in '79 at the Paris "Palais des sports" and it was a real real good gig ! It was the good time when I spent all my money in records and concerts ... So, this is just to say that your blog is a daily rendez vous and to thank you for the new musics you make me discover (Josh Ritter for example). A big kiss from Paris.
Voun
P.S.: And yes, I still have my Thorens turntable working ;-)

 
At November 28, 2007 2:24 PM, Blogger Rich Martin said...

serious ruck & rule. sexy.

 
At November 28, 2007 6:25 PM, Blogger vklj said...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW.

(so how do we go about this now?)

 
At November 28, 2007 6:38 PM, Blogger Kelly said...

I'm feeling all #5 but will go ahead and say I love this song because it makes my baby get up and shake his thing. Supercool! (kellypster-at-gmail-dot-com)

 
At November 29, 2007 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a fan of Mr Dury for yonks. Saw him when he was part of the original Stiff Tour back in October 1977 (yeah, I'm THAT old!) at the legendary Glasgow Apollo and later at a cool gig he headlined with Blurt! and Basement 5 in 1980. The man was an inspiration to many and didn't let his affliction hold him back. Respect!

 
At November 29, 2007 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian Dury was great because he was a geezer.Because 'sweet gean vincent' has one of the all time great intros .Because he got grannies across Britain singing 'hit me with your rhythm stick das is gut ich leber dich' alongside their teenage grandchildrend;and because 'New boots and panties made loads of people happy and smile.

 
At November 29, 2007 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother, who is ten years older then me, had the "Live Stiffs LP" in the late 70's that had "Stiff" recording artist such as Nick Lowe, Wreskless Eric, Elvis Costello and of course the great Ian Dury and the Blockheads all captured live. Ian Dury did "Wake up and make love to me", "Billericay Dickie" and "Sex and Drugs and Rock N Roll" Ever since then I have loved Ian Dury, so Funky so English.. My brother has had the L.P. and I never found another copy. Well, last year I'm in a gas station waiting to pay and I'm thumbing through thier cassettes of bootleg Willie Nelson, Dolly parton and Grand Funk Railroad when I see "STIFFS LIVE" WOW!!! $4.99..Ian Dury in all his glory. rmcanany@dtsone.com

 
At November 29, 2007 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Stiff Label had a great run back in the later 70s Ian Drury was like nothing I had ever heard before. eganias at nyc dot rr dot com

 
At November 30, 2007 7:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Anonymous rmcanany, I'm looking for the "live stiff" album since I've lent the LP to someone I don't remember, my back up orange BASF cassette tape sounds like yoghourt in a teethless mouth (I know it's 25 years old, but I still can enjoy TDK SA tapes recorded in those days,so ...) So please if you can try to translate your cassette in a listenable file (or still access your brother discotheque!) send a link to live stiff, I'm in need of a "poliiiiice car"
Thanks.
voun33 at yahoo dot fr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter