I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, November 23, 2007

Augie March with a lush orchestra

Holy sweet fantastic, this is gorgeous. I already liked Augie March a lot before hearing this set; they managed to wow a midday tent-full of jaded music executives at the Boulder Records & Radio conference last August, coming all the way from Australia to play their hearts out with passion and earnestness. My brother, who is generally much cooler than I, tells me that in the land down under they are megastars, and I think their album Moo, You Bloody Choir is excellent. They are starting to get some well-deserved notice here.

Already literate and lavish, their songs become absolutely something else in this setting. "One Crowded Hour" makes me want to climb inside of it even more than before. What an elegant, evocative, soaring song.

AUGIE MARCH
WITH WESTERN AUSTRALIA SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
@ KINGS PARK 2007
[thanks jay!]
BROADCAST ON JJJ RADIO

Lady Time (orchestra intro)
This Train Will Be Taking No Passengers
Mother Greer
The Honey Month
One Crowded Hour
Men Who Follow Spring The Planet 'Round
Bottle Baby
O Song
Song In The Key of Chance
Stranger Strange
Brundisium



ZIP: AUGIE MARCH WITH ORCHESTRA

Labels:

12 Comments:

At November 23, 2007 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

One crowded hour almost made me cry!!

Great song, never heard of this band and once again Fuel/Friends provides me with music iv´e never stumbled upon before. Great Job!!!

Thank you

 
At November 24, 2007 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"in the land down under they are megastars"

They sure are! We love them!

 
At November 24, 2007 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. As always, I've heard something new, or heard it in a different way.

 
At November 24, 2007 9:03 AM, Blogger productofgrunge said...

I think calling this awesome wouldn't be doing it justice. Thanks for introducing me to something new.

Oh, i posted a playlist over at my blog i think you might like, it's a fun indie/brit pop playlist. I got kinda lost in a mountain of music tryign to put it together, so the whole process took a few hours more then i had planned lol, it makes for an easy listen tho. EscapeTribe.com if you fancy giving it a listen.

Thanks again Heather. :-)

 
At November 25, 2007 11:49 PM, Blogger Westy said...

hey, that's a great find, I missed this when it was broadcast. I have a certain level of pride when an Australian band starts getting press overseas, particularly one as unique as Augie March. Glad you are enjoying the music, if you are after other stuff from Australia give me a shout. Btw I hope you don't mind I put a link to your post on my own blog.

thanks,

W

 
At November 26, 2007 5:42 AM, Blogger isthisgraham? said...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet, I missed this when it was on Triple J. You have become a legend all over again :D

Saw these guys supporting Crowded House the other week in Sydney - they were loose and enjoying it. Hopefully they can follow up their success and cement themselves into the upper atmosphere of Aussie music =)

 
At November 26, 2007 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All 3 of their albums are great but i especially like their first "Sunset Studies". Definitely worth a look.

 
At November 26, 2007 8:40 AM, Blogger Marginal Minds said...

Thanks for another great check-out!

 
At November 29, 2007 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Augie March are awesome...track down 'There's No Such Place' as well - my fave Augie song.
They're pretty big down here, it's true, and supporting Crowded House is a pretty good endorsement!

Another Proud Aussie!

 
At November 30, 2007 3:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out for an Aussie band! In the land down under they're amazingly loved. One Crowded Hour is such a beautiful song.. And with the orchestra behind them they're even more amazing if that's possible.

Amazing musicians... And down to earth ppl to boot.

 
At September 18, 2008 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could you possibly re-up this? I'm a huge Augie March fan, and would love to hear this!

 
At December 11, 2008 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish these tracks were still here ... sad face

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter