I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, October 22, 2007

I am trying to break your heart

I finally watched the Wilco documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart tonight, and quick thought:

So the scene at the beginning where they are drawing a face on Jeff Tweedy's pudgy belly, using his big round bellybutton as the mouth, and making it talk and jiggle and wiggle as he bumbles it around in his hands for the camera? Yeah that kind of sums up and simultaneously nullifies all the hard work that went into 150 years of complex social science research about the biological differences between men and women. Women can do lots of things with our fat; making it talk in a documentary is not one of them.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At October 23, 2007 9:14 AM, Blogger Jake said...

that's all you took from that fantastic documentary?

 
At October 23, 2007 9:26 AM, Blogger KP said...

I've seen that documentary once, all the way through, and a couple times in bits and pieces. Never fails. I always catch it right at the "belly face."

 
At October 23, 2007 9:33 AM, Blogger heather said...

yes, jake.

;)

no, actually, I had a lot more thoughts, but that was my first quick thought. I was succinct. For once.

 
At October 24, 2007 9:48 PM, Blogger Ian D. said...

The thing I took away from the documentary was that Tweedy was sort of a depressed, wet blanket. He's pretty glum throughout. However, just saw him last week and he is amazing when he is up on stage. He didn't break out the belly face, but he seemed like a real personable guy.

 
At October 26, 2007 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought it was funny and nice to see a serious artist being unpretentious for a change.

 
At October 28, 2007 6:36 PM, Blogger fairest said...

Well put. That's all I took from it. That and the much better bitchin' version of "Kamera."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter