I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, October 12, 2007

Guest post: Chris from North Carolina, redux

In August, I wrote about the fabulous reader Chris from NC who took the time to send me five mix CDs and liner notes, and I posted some of the tracks off the first rock-themed collection.

There were four more discs full of goodness that were left shivering outside the blog love, so I wanted to move on to the next offering for your distinct enjoyment.

On this Friday afternoon, I'll share a little mini-mix of five excellent selections from mix disc #2, along with his comments, on today's guest blog. Let me repeat how much I enjoy hearing songs through other people's ears, filtered through their own experience. Dig these fresh tunes:


DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL:
Lots of humble opinions, sad songs, and covers


We Will Become Silhouettes - The Shins
Love the Postal Service, but this one's better

Brilliant Disguise - Elvis Costello
Not so much a fan of Bruce's version, but I love the lyrics and EC's delivery. In easily the most surreal conversation of my life, Westerberg once told me you can call him E, but never Declan (his real name). You've been warned.

I Figured You Out - Mary Lou Lord
An Elliott Smith song that I could never find him doing. I think I really like this song in no small part because I can hear him singing it in my head.

Only Love Can Break Your Heart - Saint Etienne
Imaginative re-working of the old Neil Young song

More Than I Can Do - Steve Earle
Stalker song sometimes mistaken for a love song, along the lines of "Every Breath You Take." Only less played out.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At October 13, 2007 9:10 AM, Blogger Philco Brothers said...

Thanks for the Elvis track.
A brilliant surprise.
Just saw him open for Dylan and he was in top form.
Dylan was not.
You've been warned.

 
At October 13, 2007 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's rare that I like a cover better than the original.


...

 
At October 13, 2007 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just because you want to lock your door
Doesn't mean you don't love me anymore


I have to admit I laughed out loud when I heard these lyrics after the stalker description.

I loved The Shins cover. I was, however, not feeling the EC cover. I felt like it was too slow and my brain was needing that Springsteen sandpaper to deliver the "is it yoooooou baby..." properly. The Mary Lou Lord song is beautiful, though I've never heard the original. Last, but not least, the Neil Young cover. At first listen, there were really no words. But if I have to muster up some...it reminds me of this one time when I was kid and I was throwing up and I couldn't keep anything down. My mom tried giving me everything including Pepto Bismal, which I promptly threw up. That is what this atrocity sounds like. Regurgitated Pepto Bismal. A real butchering.

 
At October 15, 2007 7:13 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Here's an Elliot Smith version...and lovelovelove the Mary Lou Lord and Shins tracks, thanks.
http://lido.binaryops.com/

 
At October 25, 2007 7:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also saw EC open up for Dylan and he WAS in top form. Just a solo acoustic short set, performing a number of new songs and old favorites. Let's be clear: "Brilliant Disguise" is one of Bruce's greatest records, Elvis gives it a nice easy going countrified treatment, not coming close to the power and the magnificence of the original.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter