I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, September 01, 2007

One of the few things worth getting up at 5am for

The Colorado Balloon Classic was this morning, when dozens of hot-air balloons all ascend en masse at sunrise, from the prettiest park downtown. It was extremely cool.

I'd wanted to drag myself out of bed in the pre-dawn darkness for this the last couple of years, but never been able to actually accomplish that. It was worth it -- all those massive colorful balloons rising from the field like sleeping giants just feels a bit magical.





5 Comments:

At September 01, 2007 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey... I was out there too. You may have seen me. I was the guy with the camera... :-)

 
At September 01, 2007 10:33 PM, Blogger j.elliot said...

one starving musician stopped by to say: nice blog you have here.

j.e.

 
At September 02, 2007 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Death Traps.

 
At September 02, 2007 11:58 AM, Blogger Yon said...

It's actually the opposite of a death trap.

My wife an I went on a hot-air balloon ride recently. Purportedly ballooning has the least number of fatalities of any other form of travel (including walking). Also as the first form of human flight many modern terms come from ballooning, like Cockpit and Pilot. Cockpit, as the first french balloons were tested with dogs and chickens as passengers. Pilot from one participants of the first human flight, Jean-François Pilâtre.

One last piece of trivia (all unverified). As riding in a balloon feels very much like being in an elevator-it's that smooth, I read that more people die in elevator accidents world wide than in plane crashes.

Go figure.

 
At September 03, 2007 2:59 PM, Blogger bg said...

Although it's in Reno and not CO, I think you'd like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyyCcjbrWOM

Enjoy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter