I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, August 27, 2007

Monday Music Roundup

"Mom, I find it interesting that you refer to the Weekly World News as . . . 'The Paper.' The paper contains facts."

(Scottish accent) "This paper contains facts. And this paper has the eighth highest circulation in the whole wide world. Right? Plenty of facts. 'Pregnant man gives birth.' That's a fact."

The Weekly World News published its swansong final issue today, and of course when I read about it this morning, I fondly thought of one of my favorite Nineties movies -- the San Francisco-filmed, Mike Myers acted, boppy-indie-rock soundtracked, So I Married An Axe Murderer. If you've seen it, you likely remember that quote above between Charlie McKenzie and his momma.

With the WWN gone, where will I turn now for my checkout line perusal needs? I guess it's all news of Lohan and Britney for me from here on out. I kind of prefer stories of alien babies and massive political/religious conspiracies. Bah.

Here's your recommended weekly musical allowance:

Brother
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Since we're talking about So I Married An Axe Murderer, here's my vote for the best dang song off that soundtrack. Maybe you are singing, "There sheeeeee goes..." in your head right now (The underrated La's), or maybe "One two princes kneel before you - that's what I said now" (the not-underrated Spin Doctors). But this Toad The Wet Sprocket tune from the soundtrack remains a superb Toad b-side, possibly the best track off this album and also off the In Light Syrup rarities compilation. "Brother" always makes me feel really happy inside, from that ebullient opening melody through the heartfelt lyrics of brotherly love. A great one - put it on your next mixtape.


Pass The Buck
Stereophonics

The new Stereophonics album Pull The Pin is an absolute supernova. I've been listening to the forthcoming album from these Welsh rockers all weekend and I woke up with this particular track in my head. Whenever that happens -- a song rising unbidden to my mental jukebox player first thing in the morning -- that means it's gotten inside me and I need to write something about it. This is a cocky, flippant, unyielding tune that just makes you feel like the coolest person in the room, with backing vocals on the verses that invoke a surprising bit of catchy bubblegum goodness. Maybe I'm the only one who hears this, but the chorus of this track reminds me a bit of Aerosmith's "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)." They're not the same, but they enjoy standing next to each other.

Stereo
Parker Mosli
I was catching up with Fuel-favorite Bay Area musician Jake Troth, and was really pleased by the danceable melodies and late-night beats of his new side project, Parker Mosli. This project is a collaboration between Jake (who's also been busy writing a melody featured on the new album of pals Rogue Wave) and fellow relocated Charlotte, NC native Joshua Panda. Recommended for fans of !!! and Mark Ronson, but with some indulgent hand-clappy goodness - love it. They've got some more tunes on their MySpace and an EP available.


100 Days 100 Nights
Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings
Remember my rant on Dreamgirls a few weeks ago? This song is exactly what I would have loved to see in that film, except this tune is a modern day confection that just sounds like it was made in the '50s. Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings (what a fun band name) hit the Brooklyn music scene in 2002 with their own brand of swinging retro funk and soul, sounding like no one else right now. They're also the backing band on Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album and (stalled) tour. Retro is so hot right now. Their latest full length album, 100 Days, 100 Nights, will be out October 2nd on Daptone Records, and is worth buying just for the subtle fun of that cover alone.

Hollywood
Collective Soul
My sister is moaning in agony right now that I am writing about Collective Soul. We kind of had an unspoken pact growing up in the "Shine" era that if either of us ever liked Collective Soul, then the other person should immediately kill us. Sorry, but that song got pretty dang annoying in the summer of 1994. I've been out of the loop on the rest of their output, so I could be very, very wrong -- because I will freely admit that I find this song absolutely irresistible. I am looking forward to hearing the rest of their new album Afterwords, out tomorrow on El Records and, somehow, through Target.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At August 27, 2007 11:15 AM, Blogger JETHRO said...

love this collective soul song. saw the triple play concert in manchester nh. collective soul was great. this song sounded particularly good.

LIVE kicked our asses. simply rocked, so hard!!

Counting crows was kinda mellow, and a bit too much thanking us for sticking around for 14 years dialog. made it sound like they were done. they should have just come out strong and ignored the fact that they were on a has-been tour.

did you see the setlists for crows lately? they re-released AAEA and for the lakehurst NJ show, they played the entire album live!!!! wow. now thats a recording i HAVE to get my hands on.

jeff

 
At August 27, 2007 12:08 PM, Blogger craiye said...

I'm glad you're coming around to Collective Soul...you should probably check out Disciplined Breakdown or Dosage, they're both golden and often overlooked.

 
At August 27, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger c said...

re: so i married an axe murderer - scottish accent, i believe. and so freaking funny mike meyers is, i totally agree with you on that.

 
At August 27, 2007 12:39 PM, Blogger Kyle Meredith said...

the chorus to the stereophonics kinda reminds me of Cannonball by The Breeders

 
At August 27, 2007 12:49 PM, Blogger heather said...

c- scottish. noted. I'm retarded.

 
At August 27, 2007 12:50 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Collective Soul rocks. Don't believe anyone else. :) Their self-titled second album is especially awesome. Recommended.

 
At August 27, 2007 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all of their records but "In Light Syrup" is actually my favorite Toad The Wet Sprocket album. It's amazing how well all of those songs hang together considering it is a record of supposed "throw-aways".
Personally, I love Collective Soul. If you are looking to hear some great post-"Shine" work, check out the "Dosage" album. Every song on it is excellent.

 
At August 27, 2007 7:02 PM, Blogger c said...

dude i would never have noticed except my grandma would never let me mistake a scotsman for an irishman. you are the opposite of retarded. didn't mean to be a brat.

later

 
At August 27, 2007 7:09 PM, Blogger Trellick Tower said...

Sharon Jones taught my 6-year-old son how to sing the blues. She's truly remarkable.

 
At August 27, 2007 7:32 PM, Blogger heather said...

c - not at all. I was serious, I was retarded, momentarily. It was early when I wrote that and there is a big difference between scottish and irish, it's kinda the point of the whole movie. hence me = retarded. thanks for pointing it out! :)

 
At August 27, 2007 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If not your sister, I would be alone on your blog regarding the all inclusive dislike of CS. This song is no better.

On a lighter note, dug all of the new tunes from previously unknown (to me) bands.

Keep us rock'n rocky mountain soul sista'

 
At August 28, 2007 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Stereophonics tune.It sounds like a power metal version of 'Here comes the sun' (somehow!).The combination of anger,revenge and freedom in the song is beguiling.They should be bigger.Like Ash their very unstarry honesty seems to be unfairly holding them back from the big, big time.Still,in the spirit of the song, who cares? This album will definitely be on my list.

Posted on yey another English bank holiday - it's a dirty job but some nation's got to do it.......

 
At August 28, 2007 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best song on So I Married an Axe Murderer has got to be "This Poem Sucks" - slays me every time! Seriously though - the 2 versions of "There She Goes" are great. Too bad the soundtrack doesn't include Stuart's cover of "Do You Think I'm Sexy".

 
At August 28, 2007 1:25 PM, Blogger wakeboarder69 said...

I soooo love that movie... there are so many small bits of quick dialogue that I find absolutely hilarious. Thanks for the tunes... again.

 
At August 29, 2007 8:21 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Sharon Jones is so amazing. God I really got to see them live sometime. Get the last album. Soooooooooooooo good.

 
At August 30, 2007 2:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great movie flashback - I love that film! Also the red tops (tabloids) are a guilty pleasure of mine here in Britain. Nice site and some great MP3 choices. Thanks for the Collective Soul track - haven't heard them in ages.

 
At November 08, 2007 2:58 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brother is a great song. Thanks for posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter