I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, August 31, 2007

Jeff Tweedy swings by your living room

Okay, I've cast my lot and I am in for Wilco tomorrow night at the Fillmore up in Denver. I have been hearing phenomenal show reviews from folks up and down the West Coast who have caught the Wilco revue in recent weeks, some saying it's one of the best shows they've ever seen, so I am really excited. I was going to pose as a security guard to get in (I'm not lying, friend works there) but thankfully that idea is past. Although I was totally already practicing my cross-arm stance, daring people to mess with me.

So in honor of my first time seeing Wilco, I've got a tasty little acoustic set that I've been sitting on for a few months, waiting for the right occasion. Most times if you heard that a rock star charged $17,500 to play in someone's living room, you'd think either a) desperate or b) money-hungry. Right? No, not Tweedy. He's auctioned himself off for the last three years for the Second City (in Chicago) Letters to Santa Benefit. This raises money for Christmas presents for kids, and in 2006 net over $50,000 through three dedicated groups of fans each coughing up the $17,500 to be the winning bid.

By that logic, each tune that he performed on this fan-directed setlist was worth $472.97. Given the nature of who was requesting the songs (uberfans, willing to pay up dearly), you know the setlist is going to be packed with gems. There's precisely the intimate, acoustic, chatty, spontaneous vibe here that you would expect from some guy who shows up in your living room to play you a personal concert.


JEFF TWEEDY, LIVING ROOM CONCERT
Letters to Santa Benefit, 4/8/2006
Someday Some Morning Sometime
Not For The Season
All The Same To Me
Summer Teeth
Blue Eyed Soul
A Magazine Called Sunset
I'm Beginning To See The Light
Hey Chicken
No More Poetry
You Were Wrong
If That's Alright
Lost Love
Henry & The H Bombs
The Ruling Class
Fatal Wound
I Must Be High
Kamera
Is That The Thanks I Get
Walked Where He Walked
James Alley Blues
Hotel Arizona
Please Tell My Brother
Walken
New Madrid
Walk On
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At The End Of The Century)
We've Been Had
The Long Cut
Radio King
Forget The Flowers
I'm Always In Love
Candyfloss
Say You Miss Me
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
I'm The Man Who Loves You
I Can't Keep From Talking

ZIP UP TWEEDY IN YOUR LIVING ROOM


Labels: ,

27 Comments:

At August 31, 2007 11:21 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Dammit, I've already got two massive Tweedy boots in my iTunes, don't make me download another! ...Aw, heck. Okay. I'll do it.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou! He's so much fun to listen to live. I seriously can't get enough of these recordings. Now, if only I had a spare $18,000...

 
At August 31, 2007 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome!!

I saw Wilco for the first time myself a few months ago in Indianapolis... It *was*, in fact, one of the best shows I've ever seen (and I've seen alot)!!

 
At August 31, 2007 3:01 PM, Blogger Rambling Canuck said...

I've seen Wilco a number of times over the years and this is the tightest, most innovative lineup yet. Nels Cline will blow you away on guitar. How good is he? I once saw him perform, with a drummer, the entire Coltrane album "Interstellar Space" - on guitar, flawlessly! Insane.

 
At August 31, 2007 4:09 PM, Blogger Steck said...

Great, great, great post.

With one tiny exception. The track "Forget the Flowers" is repeated right after and in place of "I'm Always in Love." Maybe this is how you got the boot?

Thanks for blogging.

 
At August 31, 2007 4:25 PM, Blogger Beaze said...

Yup, my first Wilco show went down as the best show I'd seen thus far -- and is still one of my top five and just recv'd word today the band is coming this way too! Have fun at your first live Wilco experience. Worth every penny.

 
At August 31, 2007 4:46 PM, Blogger sjdavis said...

I wish i could see Wilco in september here, i was this close to getting the ticket, but then i realized there was a mandatory fraternity retreat thing, so i was pretty mad. Nevertheless, i'll probably be seeing ben harper in dallas in november...so that ails my sorrow to an extent.

Great post though, Tweedy's great!

 
At August 31, 2007 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,
you're going to LOVE the Wilco show. I just saw them at the Greek Theatre in LA and I have to agree with the others, maybe one of the best shows I've seen in the last ten years.

Hey, I've been trying to download the Tweedy stuff, but it won't fully download. Have you heard this from anyone else?

Thanks for you wonderful blog.

FJ in South Pas, Ca.

 
At August 31, 2007 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Tweedy show. I just bought tix for two Wilco shows on their swing through the midwest. This is a great way to start the weekend.

-D in Sioux Falls

 
At August 31, 2007 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been a Wilco fan since the very start (Uncle Tupelo and the Primitives anyone? Yes, I am the freakin' old, so?) and this IS the best they have ever been live. Thank you for filling up my external drive with premium goodness!

 
At August 31, 2007 9:02 PM, Blogger Trent said...

Thank you! I saw Wilco for the first time a few years ago at the Paramount here in Seattle and I was blown away. I can't wait to listen to this acoustic set.

 
At August 31, 2007 9:04 PM, Blogger Ted said...

HAVE FUN - the show should be great. Wilco kicks ass. When they played Red Rocks the last time they were in town it was one of the best shows I've ever seen there (on par with Radiohead and Bjork). Maybe I'll see ya there!

 
At September 01, 2007 8:16 AM, Blogger Yon said...

You will love the show. I've also been following them since the Uncle Tupelo days. They've definitely grown into their boots, and have a powerful show to offer. What always amazes me about their shows verses their albums, is the energy. On the albums the music is very personal, strong yet stayed. Live, the same songs are anthems, part of the whole crowd. They fill every corner with replete aural satisfaction.

Let us know how your experience is.. I get to see them the next night. And thanks for the sampler.

 
At September 01, 2007 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for this Heather, this looks fantastic. really wish I had made it to the show at the Count Basie this year...bah.

 
At September 02, 2007 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

Thanks for the post. I found another one of Jeff's living room concert boots recently and really enjoyed it. Being a boy from Belleville I gotta love Jeff Tweedy.

Kev in St. Louis

 
At September 02, 2007 9:03 AM, Blogger Are We There Yet? said...

So you got to tell me if you're a full-blown convert after the show... what'd you think? Yes, I'm still lurking 'round these parts, just quiet these days. Saw them in SD and while it was a mild Monday night in the open air, it was in a word, electrifying.

 
At September 02, 2007 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is wonderful! I am also a fan since Tupelo! Yay...can't wait to download!!!

 
At September 02, 2007 7:47 PM, Blogger Sokiente said...

that was amazing. thank you so much.

 
At September 03, 2007 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this blog is great and teh fact taht you are now a wilco convert has made it even better. thanks so much for this set.

 
At September 04, 2007 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,
Thanks for making this available! I've added it to the stack and it's going to serve me and others well.
Cheers,
Chuck

 
At September 17, 2007 4:18 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Heather, thank you for getting this up for us all to revel in and enjoy. Glad you've seen the light re wilco and jt. Take care.

 
At October 17, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger bainer said...

thanks so much for sharing this wonderfully intimate occasion. a perfect elixir for the tweedy fever i've been feeling.

 
At December 14, 2007 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the zip file is corrupt

 
At March 05, 2008 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the zip file isn't working. please repost/fix. thanks.

 
At April 19, 2008 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

again, heather. I would love if you would put this up...

it seems corrupted and I wonder if its intentional, or what...

thanks sincerely

 
At May 06, 2008 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,

I am a huge Wilco fan and would love to have this show for my collection.

The link to the download is not working or the file is no longer on the server. Please correct or reinstate the show for the few fans that are late to the post.

Thanks!!!!

 
At May 22, 2008 3:50 PM, Blogger Barry said...

heather, please please please repost this file? pretty please?

 
At October 11, 2008 5:01 PM, Blogger time warner cable said...

would love to get this also. here's a link to my favorite tweedy show: zip of 2006-06-10

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter