I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

100 Moments That Changed Music

Blender.com has an entertaining new list up of 100 Moments That Changed Music. It was an excellent memory-refresher and date-clarifier for me for a series I'll be working on in the coming weeks in conjunction some friends on the topic of Memorable Moments in Music. The whole Blender list is eminently readable, this specific entry made me laugh out loud:

#14: October 8, 1980
Prince poses in black undies

Until this point, Prince had been just another upstart R&B singer. With the cover of his third album, Dirty Mind — a black–and–white shot of him giving the camera a come–hither look, wearing bikini briefs, a jacket, a bandanna and nothing else, and standing in front of an abstract design that looks a lot like bedsprings — he became something else.


It looked (and the album sounded) like a new–wave record, and it delivered two clear messages. One was “I don’t fit into any category anybody wants to put me in.” The other was “I am coming to f*ck you, right now.” The combination worked well for Prince for the better part of 20 years.


And my sister wonders why Prince kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

8 Comments:

At July 11, 2007 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prince was also one of the first black "crossover/kickover" artists to break through on MTV (video 1999). One of the first, I know that there is a MJ/Prince debate out there. Funk, Rock, R&B, Soul...I'm still grateful for him.

 
At July 11, 2007 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no heather! Heebie Jeebies in a Tom Jones kind of way? At least Prince made good on those promises.

 
At July 11, 2007 10:56 AM, Blogger Kristy said...

I don't wonder why he gives you the heebie jeebies anymore! For me, it's David Bowie. Then, now, always (thanks, Labyrinth!).

 
At July 11, 2007 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dirty Mind was my favorite album. Thanks for sharing 100 moments. Cool!
I am waiting for more news from you in the world of music.

 
At July 12, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger psd said...

I saw him in concert when this album came out. He opened for Rick James. And I think he had on that same outfit. With high heeled thigh-high boots. Amazing show from what I remember...

 
At July 12, 2007 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking about it, what is really worrying about this post is that you posted it at 8.37 am( something on your mind?) and secondly that, after your Rod Stewart posting, a theme seems to be emerging here......

 
At July 13, 2007 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

why isn't "when heather first posted a music blog" listed as one of the moments?? huh?

 
At July 14, 2007 11:47 PM, Blogger Julie said...

Oh my god! That album makes me think of long-ago hot summer nights dancing in Athens GA. You knew it was gonna be a good party when someone stuck Dirty Mind on the turntable.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter