I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bob Schneider mixtape :: Demos/live/unreleased

Bob Schneider (former frontman for The Ugly American and The Scabs) is a singer-songwriter from down in Austin, Texas who is quite the funky little mofo. He's got a hard-strumming goodtime acoustic sound, incorporating rootsy beats and funk: he calls this style "frunk" (n.b.: not to be confused with crunk).

I am just getting more into his tunes recently, and to help me with this enjoyable process a pal made up two mix CDs for me with hearty doses of his music, both album stuff and rare/unreleased/bonus tracks. The range is broad, from these achingly doubting, intimate bedroom ballads ("Things My Head Heard" demo) to headliners for your next party mix (the fantastic "Assknocker") and salutes to your workplace as you drive out of the parking lot on a Friday afternoon ("Fuck It").

I've compiled my favorites into this little Bob Schneider mix. I left off songs from his two most popular albums, Lonelyland (2000) and I'm Good Now (2004) except for some bonus tracks, because you can (and should) get those albums. A few tracks from lesser-known albums made it on (the danceable "Mudhouse" and "Boombox" from The Californian, "Candy Man" and playful "Ooey Gooey Chocolate" from the self-released Galaxy Kings, "Drinking Song" and "Over The Rainbow" cover from Songs Sung And Played On The Guitar At The Same Time). The rest are unreleased/demos/live stuff. Overall, the castoffs tend to be a bit more playful and mischievous than the album stuff, so if you just listen to the biggie albums, you might have a slicker adult-alternative impression of him. This mixtape will be awesome for summer.

Get to know Bob Schneider. He's on tour now (always), I hear the live shows are impressive and FUN.

BOB SCHNEIDER MIXTAPE
Mudhouse (he ain't got nobody he can call his shorty)
Ooey Gooey Chocolate
Assknocker
Captain Kirk (live)
Things My Head Heard (original demo)
Batman (live on ACL)
Everybody's Doing It (unreleased demo)
Candyman
Good Thing (live)
Snow Maps
Taking Care Of Business (BTO cover)
Over The Rainbow
King Of The World (bonus track, Texas Edition of Lonelyland)
Broke Dick (unreleased demo)
Boombox
C'mon Baby (live)
Drinking Song
Piggyback (original demo)
The World Passes You By (bonus track, Texas Ed./Lonelyland)
Flowerparts (live)
The Bridge Builders (live)
Randall's (live)
If I Only Had A Brain
Fuck It (definitely not suitable for work. Unless you work at, say, Bada Bing)

MIXERY ZIPPERY

Labels:

17 Comments:

At June 14, 2007 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On a side note, the live shows are FUCKING AMAZING and will rock your socks off!!!!!

If you're capable of going to one of Bob's shows and not having a good time then you're probably dead.

Thanks for the tunes.

 
At June 14, 2007 2:03 PM, Blogger Tanya said...

If you get a chance to see him in a small venue (e.g. Saxon Pub in Austin) it is a completely different show that you would see at a larger venue- both fantastic - just very different. I've only seen one show I wasn't impressed with-(and I've seen countless shows) and I'm convinced it's because he hates Dallas ;)

 
At June 14, 2007 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Calling someone a MoFo?

You do know what that stands for?

 
At June 14, 2007 4:05 PM, Blogger heather said...

Ummm, I think it stands for Mormon Folk. Or....monkey food.

 
At June 14, 2007 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never heard of him or the bands...good stuff.
thanks for the heads up on this dude.

 
At June 15, 2007 4:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Ummm, I think it stands for Mormon Folk. Or....monkey food. "

Well he DOES look tasty....






http://monkeybastard.blog.com

 
At June 15, 2007 6:39 AM, Blogger The Other Van Gundy said...

Hi there, Heather

You've got a terrific blog, and that amazing Born to Run you've got has been sitting at the top of my charts for a few months.

But the awesomeness of this blog isn't my only reason for commenting - I can't get any of these new links to work. Maybe it's just me, but you might want to check them.

 
At June 15, 2007 6:43 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hi Erik, thanks for the comment, that version of Born To Run (the Chimes of Freedom one?) is irreplaceable. I can only listen to it so often. Like whoa.
:)

The music server does seem to be down this morning; in the past when this has happened it goes back up pretty quickly. I'll leave these files up for a while, please check back! They are great! (obv. I think so, hence the post....)

 
At June 15, 2007 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While certainly NSFW, that has to be one of the best songs that I have ever heard.

 
At June 15, 2007 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, at the risk of being a party pooper, Jack Johnson wants Everlast to quit making fun of him.

 
At June 15, 2007 4:58 PM, Blogger V said...

Absolutely check out a live show. He was just in town this week and I missed it.

I've never left a show disappointed.

 
At June 18, 2007 2:53 PM, Blogger Little Dynamite said...

I'm so glad to hear you're a fan of Bob...I was actually going to see if you'd heard of him since he's a favorite of ours over at KTTU.

Just made a trip from NYC to Austin to see him play two live shows in his element: awesome.

You can check out the review and live show of the first night here if you're interested:

http://keytotheuniverse.blogspot.com/2007/06/bob-schneider-live-at-nutty-brown-cafe.html

You definitely need to see him live! There's nothing like it...

 
At June 19, 2007 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah, Heather...you are my hero for the day. Huge fan of Bob. His live show is one of the most fun I've been to.

 
At June 22, 2007 5:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's some of the worst shit I've heard so far this year.

Unbelievably horrible.

 
At July 01, 2007 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love me some Bob! I have been going to his shows for years. Seeing him do reunion shows with the Scabs is when he is as his best.

You have some songs on the post that I cannot get? Have they been taken down?

 
At July 16, 2007 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Bob. He is one of a kind. Dying to hear this mixtape but none of the links are working.

 
At July 16, 2007 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He ain't yo daddy...He's your lover. Bob's a mac motherfucker like no other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter