I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The best song ever about salmon spawning. Maybe the only one.

Does anyone remember that song about roly-poly fishheads from the early '90s? "Fishheads are never seen drinking cappuccinos in Italian restaurants with Oriental women." Yeah, I have no idea what it was about, but we used to play it on my friend's college radio show at KSCU (from the damp basement of Swig Hall).

This song from the new Chemical Brothers album is similarly piscine in scope, and reminds me some of Fishheads, so maybe it's not surprising that some twisted pleasure-center of my brain likes it. A salmon dance? This features Fatlip (previously of The Pharcyde) and urges the listener to "shake your body like a salmon floating upstream" and talks about dancing like a fish while doin' The Snap. It could be this year's shake it like a polaroid picture. Yes, it's kitschy and ridiculous, but if you can resist liking this even a little bit, you are a better person than I.

I know, I know.

The Salmon Dance (feat Fatlip) - The Chemical Brothers

The new Chemical Brothers album We Are The Night is due July 17 on Astralwerks, and also features widely-varied collaborations with The Klaxons, Midlake, and Willy Mason. (thanks Max)

On a related note, I just recently figured out how big and ugly salmon are, thanks to my very favorite dirty jobber Mike Rowe. I guess I kind of pictured them like shiny pink trout. Just goes to demonstrate that no, I have never gone fishing. I need to fix that.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At June 28, 2007 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr Demento, and Fergie Present...

From the S to the A,L,M the O the N

can no other fishy put it down like me

"Fishalicious definition make them boys go loco
They want my treasure so they get their pleasures from my roe roe
You could see me, you can't squeeze me
I ain't easy, I ain't sleazy
I got reasons why I tease 'em
Boys just come and go just like them salmon season"

 
At June 29, 2007 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not a whole song but death cab's company calls epilogue...
"When they lay down the fish will swim upstream
and I'll contest, but they won't listen
when the casualty rate's near 100 percent,
and there isn't a pension for second best or for hardly moving...
"

Presumably about salmon!

 
At June 29, 2007 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neil Young's "Will To Love" might loosely be considered a Salmon Spawning" song but I agree the sub-genre is limited at best!
James Cassara

 
At July 17, 2007 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We think we are the source of the real Sammy the Salmon.....
Coincidence?

 
At September 19, 2007 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw this CB's video tonight on the front page of Webcastr (www.webcastr.com) and I thought of the Barnes & Barnes song too. This is much better filmed and looks much better than the YouTube version when you watch it on Webcastr. Go full screen, it's great. (eat them up, yum!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter