I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ryan Adams loves Jay-Z, cries at Bonnie Raitt, and doesn't have his driver's license

Ryan Adams' celebrity playlist hit the UK iTunes earlier this week. Whether he meant this list in seriousness or jest (?) I'll say it again, I love this man -- even if he listens to Linkin Park, I guess.

In related news, I think I will be seeing Ryan again at a new festival goin' on at Red Rocks on August 3rd (with --check this lineup-- Lucinda Williams, Old '97s, Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter, and Denver superstars DeVotchKa). Tickets onsale Saturday. Not a bad way to be introduced to Red Rocks - it'll be my first time at the hallowed grounds.

Who's in with me?

*****************
RYAN ADAMS: CELEBRITY PLAYLIST

Lost One - Jay Z
This is my favorite song (yes, song) of the year, maybe of all time. I listen to this every day when I leave home and hit the streets of the Big A - Manhattan representing or something . . .

Do You Believe In Rapture? - Sonic Youth
This is a band that will apparently never suck, and will have changed your life no matter what kind of music you listen to. This is some lovemaking music or go crazy music. Either way. Both.

"Hip Hop Is Dead" - Nas
Although I strongly disagree with the message of this song - because it's awesome - which would mean it - being hip hop - only suffered minor injuries. Mainly people not unlike myself having access to breakbeats. Ah, snap.

"Kingdom Come"- Jay Z
Man, this song made me almost get my license. I'm not lying. I started talking about it and everything because I wanted to jam this song in a car. People hate it when you jam songs in THEIR car too loud. So if he continues, I need a car and you people need to build a freeway in the forest for me where I cannot cause harm to others. I would press all the knobs in the car and mess with the seat and never get to the jam. Jay-Z is probably, in my opinion, the first person who should be allowed to perform in outer space and that is saying a lot.

"How To Save A Life" - The Fray
This is perfect songwriting and anybody that says otherwise is a jerk. Amazing hair-raising stuff. I would write songs like this if I had an attention span, but they would have more wizards, problems, and space references, etc . . .

"I Can't Make You Love Me" - Bonnie Raitt
Instant tears. Flawless. And a sick guitarist to boot who, I have to say, sorry, but is hotter than Martian asphalt.

"Don't Stop Believin'" - Journey
Don't worry Journey. Nobody will stop. Although Sartre would stop. Because it's all, you know, nothing.

"Numb" - Linkin Park
Amazing band, nice folks, kick-ass music. Everyone steals from them and they don't care. They still do it like it was yesterday and yesterday was tomorrow. Times five.

"Is It Any Wonder?" - Keane
This song really shook me to the core when I first heard it. I felt like the words were so on time and that the melody and meaning reminded me of that pain a person can feel right before it all goes up in smoke. Very beautiful and scary.

"Over the Mountain" - Ozzy Osbourne
I once listened to this album six times in a row in one evening. Alone. It was fucking great. The album, I mean.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At May 18, 2007 7:03 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hey, I turned comments on now. Don't know how or why I turned them off on this one. I'll weigh in that I think he's half serious (maybe on stuff like the Sonic Youth?) and half joking. If you re-read the list considering that he may be joking, I think it gets even funnier.

 
At May 18, 2007 1:53 PM, Blogger Jeff C. said...

First time at Red Rocks? Ooh, be prepared to become a disciple. It's a GREAT place to see a show. And bring an umbrella. Every single time I've been there, seriously, it's rained. It's a running joke at my house.

 
At May 18, 2007 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All they need is Caitlin Cary to make it a mini Whiskeytown reunion fest.

 
At May 19, 2007 12:52 AM, Blogger mandy said...

You'd better believe I'm in! I, too, love this man. Can't wait until August 3rd!

 
At May 19, 2007 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it a definite that Lucinda Williams is playing? I haven't seen it posted anywhere else.

 
At May 27, 2007 11:50 AM, Blogger givenpause said...

He isn't crazy, he's contrived. He even admits as much in several older interviews. You will see him becomming more and more 'crazy' as he gets older (he's a middle aged man who never really made it having to play before 20-somethings..he HAS to do things to make himself seem youthful). Talk to people who have known him for years and they will tell you that his personna is completely fabricated. Just talking to him in person will convince you of this as well.

 
At August 14, 2007 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I went to this show at Red Rocks. My first time too. It was a great time, but I have to admit, I was left a bit perplexed by the Old '97s going on before Devotchka and only playing for maybe 30 min. I had heard Devotchka were huge in Denver, but why did they get a set that was twice as long as the 97's set? I'm from Philly and was just visiting, but I don't understand how a national act was upstaged by a regional (albeit popular) group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter