I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, May 03, 2007

New from Stereophonics :: "Bank Holiday Monday"

Welsh rockers Stereophonics have a new album called Pull The Pin due out in the fall, and premiered their first song from it on May Day on BBC Radio 1. The single is called "Bank Holiday Monday" and will be available to download online on May 28th, which is indeed a bank holiday Monday in the UK (we don't really get those in the U.S., not sure if I completely understand them but okay).

This is a radio rip I meticulously culled from some Russian site with lots of George Michael mp3s. Ordinarily I'd rip and edit it down myself (this mp3 has a lot of DJ chatter) but I am still out of commission with my laptop. If anyone wants to snip out some of the chatter and email me back an edited mp3, I'll repost it with lots of gratitude and less singing along by DJ Chris Moyles.

This song is big and blistering right out of the cage from the opening "Whoooo!" and the relentless drums. I have no idea what Kelly is wailing on about in that fantastic rocker gravel other than "Mondaaaaaay....," but I really like it. It makes me tingle.

Bank Holiday Monday (on BBC Radio 1) - Stereophonics

Pull The Pin will be out this autumn, and is set to feature 12 tracks, co-produced by Kelly Jones and Jim Lowe.

This follows the re-release back in March of their debut album, 1997's Word Gets Around. That album was reissued for the ten year anniversary as a double disc with some Stereophonics b-sides from the mid/late '90s, including a punk version of 'She Takes Her Clothes Off,' which was one of the band's earliest known tracks.

Stereophonics also continues their love affair with BBC Radio 1 and will co-headline their "Big Weekend" festival in Moor Park, Preston on May 20th, and also play two other shows this month in the UK.


Labels:

10 Comments:

At May 03, 2007 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bank holidays originally all to do with cricket - a far sighted governor of the bank of England insisting workers had the day off to play cricket matches which were mini local festivals.

Fast forward to today or recent days and Bank Holiday Monday is the day Jimmy goes to Brighton for the weekend in Quadrophenia( 'out of my brain on the on the train') - a time of fights betwen mods and rockers - a time of pent up aggression when youth and young manhoods express their growling discontents with the numbing routines of labour.....

Still, here in the uk we have another bank holiday on Monday(as well as the one on the 28th) and five to six weeks holiday a year....why are there no American songs about your slave labour work culture? Or do you have more holidays than the two weeks I have heard discussed over here?

Nice tune.

 
At May 03, 2007 5:16 PM, Blogger heather said...

russell: best comment ALL WEEK. thanks for the smile and the history lesson. For the record, we do have several songs about our slave labour work culture, including but not limited to:

She Works Hard For The Money, Take This Job and Shove It, Manic Monday, and Livin' On A Prayer. And more that I can't think of right now. I need a holiday.

 
At May 03, 2007 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the phonics. Can't wait for the new album. Hope it comes out in America.

 
At May 05, 2007 9:50 AM, Blogger Brendan said...

Liking the new song, thanks! The promo picture makes me laugh too... the guy in the middle is shorter than Kelly Jones and he's tiiiiny!

Think I'll dig out my Phonics albums.

 
At May 08, 2007 3:38 PM, Blogger paww2k said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At May 08, 2007 3:40 PM, Blogger paww2k said...

hey


Was just searching around looking for this as its not available many places. Just tried to download it from that link and was slow.

This is a rip from another moyles show later on the week i suspect, just one cheesey 'radio one' at the begining the rest of the song is left to be heard clearly.

http://hypem.com/track/296821

Hope thats helpful for you heather! :)

Btw on the link the 'preview' is the full song plus loads of other natter from chris after words.

Paww.

 
At May 14, 2007 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly you don’t need to understand bank holidays, its what we do. Things do operate outside of America! Back to the actual reason for stumbling across your site…Stereophonics. I can not wait for this new album, it will mean they’ll go back on tour, yay!

 
At August 31, 2007 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just adore Phonics,.... my blog talk about them (And 30 stm) but Kelly is my hero.
Just the voice, man....just the voice!

 
At August 31, 2007 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's me before...

 
At October 18, 2007 1:29 AM, Blogger Googe said...

Hey All:

I enjoy reading your comments.

The Stereophonics are awesome, way under-rated and so far have no plans to tour the U.S. i go into this more on my blog indierockcafe and indierockconcerts

Always welcome new ideas and comments on my sites like these ones.

About the two weeks in the U.S. Yes, it is basically two weeks (would be, say the average) - which sucks and just stresses everyone out. Then, if we are lucky, we get about 8 holidays, but so many people are pressured by our work culture (slave would not be the right term and degrades the horrible acts of slavery that still exist in the world today).

I still love the ideal of America that so many of regular, modest Americans believe in - democracy, justice, prosperity, champion of freedom and peace, etc. but Bush and most of the other politicians and big business (thanks to 911 which I still feel they let happen if not conspired) finally have put the second to last nail in the coffin of the American Dream.

Wish us luck; I might be coming over that way to get a taste of what it's like to live in a better managed society (even though you also get taxed up the ying yang) and of course have problems like any other country.

But man, most Americans (even the dumbasses who voted for Bush - the ones who voted him twice are simply people I can never understand - maybe they just got scared enough) can't stand Bush and don't want any more BUllSHit.

Sorry for going so off topic, but on behalf of reasonable, good-hearted Americans (and there are tens of millions) please forgive us for our sins since we don't have a president or leaders anymore who are man or woman enough to stand up and be accountable and honest and responsible to the future of all Americans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter