I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, May 07, 2007

Monday Music Roundup

I promise I am really not obsessed with moustaches (far from it, although I do think I had a dream with Tom Selleck in it after last week's post) but I feel obligated to share the results of the competition I mentioned previously over at Cinco de Moustache. The results are in and the photos alone are some of the most fun you can have at work without getting fired or the clap. Check them out.

I saw evidence with my own eyes of this new holiday, if you will, on Saturday night at Sancho's after the KOL show. An entourage of (fake) moustachioed dudes were getting down in the middle of the bar to the irresistible pull of "(I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine," which was my selection from the jukebox. When combined with the absurdity of the facial growth, their limber grooves were wholeheartedly the best thing I've seen in a long time, and made me hope for the continued "growth" of the Cinco de Mustache movement.

It makes any face just a little more special.


New music for this week:

Goodnight Rose (live on Henry Rollins Show) [pic]
Ryan Adams
A friend of mine feels that this is the best thing Ryan Adams has written in 5 years, and I gotta admit that there are moments here where I want to agree with that bold statement. This version of new tune "Goodnight Rose" is long and winding, jammy and filled with noodling and clocking in at 8+ minutes, which sometimes with Ryan can be a red flag for me. But something about the combination of the chord progression and the lyrics on, "If you get scared, hold my hand. Get out of that dress . . ." just pokes a blunt stick at my heart (and yeeeah, I can see how that suggestion would work to make me feel better, Ry). I would love to hear this song reinvented as quietly haunting, like the different versions I've heard of "Hard Way To Fall." I'm crossing my fingers for how Easy Tiger pans out as a whole (note: Sheryl Crow adds vocals to two songs, which could be cool) and where he goes with it after all the quick-change versions of Ryan Adams we've gotten over the past decade.

I smile at the the charming addition here of the four-part acapella harmonies that Ryan and band add at the beginning, middle interval, and end - "Henry Rollins Show, Henry Rollins show, Henry Rollins Show...." If this rock-country musician thing doesn't work out for Ryan, he could always join a barbershop quartet.


They're Leaving Me Behind
Nick Drake
The folks over at Tsunami Records were much appreciated 'round these parts when they dropped this mp3 into my inbox last week, another sample track off the upcoming Family Tree album, a collection of early rarities and home recordings left unreleased by Nick Drake before his untimely death in 1974 (at the age of 26). What I've heard of the album so far isn't going to radically shake-up what we already know about Drake and his lovely folksy fingerpicking output, but it's great to hear some "fresh" sounds. Nick Drake always sounds to me like that gauzy, hazy layer of fog that burns off right before sunrise; there's something so ephemeral and perfect in his music.

Roll On (feat Jenny Lewis)
Dntel
The new Dntel (aka Jimmy Tamborello, of The Postal Service acclaim) album Dumb Luck (Sub Pop) is a collage of densely fascinating electronica with a host of guest vocalists helping out along the way. Jenny Lewis' contribution has a surprising bluegrass twist (with lyrics like "son of a gun"), with the subtle electronic layers adding interest to the song construction. It reminds me of the welcome breeze through an open window. The album also features Conor Oberst, Mystic Chords of Memory, and Grizzly Bear, among others. Up next (someday) for Tamborello is a new Postal Service album with Ben Gibbard that's been in the works since last Spring.


Hold It In
Jukebox The Ghost
I've been hearing a bit of a buzz building behind Washington D.C.'s Jukebox The Ghost, whose herky jerky sound is a perfect complement to the warmer weather that I know in my heart of hearts will someday come to Colorado to stay for a spell. This reminds of stuff like The Futureheads or The Caesars, that is to say, it's perfect for a future iPod commercial.


Rusty Cage (Soundgarden cover)
Johnny Cash
Although I still prefer the bloodcurdling ferocity of the original version of this Soundgarden song, which unforgettably opens their 1991 album Badmotorfinger, I have to appreciate Johnny Cash's masterful take on it as well. Cash could take anything and loan it that dusty, apocalyptic, country-preacher feel, bringing up shaded nuances that you missed the first time it was done. And I have to say that as many times as I've listened to the original in the past 13 years, this cover was the first time I understand a good deal of the lyrics. This was originally released on 2005's The Legend of Johnny Cash (the same album that gave us his cover of NIN's Hurt).

And in case you need some paint stripping done today (Heather's moment of specific interest in this song lies at 2:52, unreal):
Rusty Cage - Soundgarden

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At May 07, 2007 2:55 PM, Blogger Sbam said...

From "Your Friend" Thanks thanks thanks!!!

 
At May 07, 2007 3:17 PM, Blogger JJ said...

They've been playing "Roll On" a ton on the "college station" on Sirius. Anything with Jenny Lewis is aces in my book.

I have long contended that the first two songs on Badmotorfinger ("Rusty Cage" and "Outshined") make up the greatest "first two songs on an album"...ever.

 
At May 07, 2007 3:21 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Hey, just to clarify, Johnny's cover of "Hurt" was actually given to us on his American IV: The Man Comes Around. The Legend Of merely gave it to us again. (Maybe you already knew that, but it was hard to tell.) I always loved the man's openness to modern music. So many could learn from people like him and Dylan.

 
At May 07, 2007 3:26 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Oh, and I just found out that "Rusty Cage" was originally on Cash's Unchained, from 1996. Oops. I missed that.

 
At May 07, 2007 3:30 PM, Blogger heather said...

That's right that Hurt was indeed on the earlier album, but I must've totally missed Unchained in 1996. That was my junior year of high school, I donno if I fully appreciated Johnny Cash at that time...

 
At May 08, 2007 11:59 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Who did appreciate Johnny Cash when they're younger. I feel stupid sometimes at the music I dismissed before and love now. Great round up this week.

 
At May 08, 2007 2:38 PM, Blogger Dainon. said...

Thank you for keeping the mustachioed dream alive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter