I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Bedroom-electronica demos with Katie Herzig

I've been hearing about a few good Colorado artists lately, thanks to some pals in the know with gooood ears. Katie Herzig is from Boulder and spent eight years fronting the band Newcomers Home. Now she is solo and living in Nashville, and although she seems to have won a few bluegrass/country/americana songwriting contests, this particular song I want to feature today couldn't be further from that.

It's dense lo-fi bedroom electronica with Katie's honeyed voice woven through, and if perchance I've turned you off with the talk of bluegrass and country, just give this a shot -- you'll like it:

Shovel (demo) - Katie Herzig

Katie's currently on the PASTE Magazine Songwriters' Tour and the picture above is from when she opened for also-Coloradoans The Fray (wait, does that mean I saw her? Was that the show with Brandi Carlile? Aaah yes, I recall exploring the beverage tent with friends before the show. What a dolt. Sorry Katie).

Also definitely pop over to her MySpace and listen to "Sweeter Than This" from her newest album Weightless. That's one place I hear a tinge more of the bluegrass in her voice, but more in the vein of the lovely SF band The Bittersweets and less dramatic than, say, Alison Krauss or someone like that. I like the unsettling melody that sounds like a tape running backwards, and the humming slide guitar. When I post the next installment of the Fuel Driving Mix, that tune will definitely be on it.

3 Comments:

At April 04, 2007 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heather, that is stunning. love it love it. thanks!

 
At April 05, 2007 10:29 AM, Blogger James L. Jazz said...

ya never let me down

 
At April 27, 2007 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Katie, I love Shovel. It is as always brilliant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter