I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, March 05, 2007

Noise Pop: "I've got soul, but I'm not a solider"

Catching up on the Noise Pop coverage! It was a night of peace, love, and reggae rock Friday night at the famed Slim's (well, famed to me because I am a huge nerd and couldn't get over the fact that Pearl Jam once played a secret show there where they unveiled a bunch of Vs. songs for the first time. Sigh). The 4-band lineup was solid and very stoked to be there -- mostly straightforward rock from all participants to a willing and plugged-in crowd.

Street To Nowhere started things off with this (direct link):


I chatted a little with lead singer Dave (who I think is about 20) at the merch table after his set, specifically about music blogs and their band's cover of Hallelujah (which he said was featured on "some big roundup of a bunch of different versions of the song"). They had a good sound, I hope he didn't think I was giving him a hard time when I asked him point-blank what made his take on Hallelujah different and worth it; I was a little belligerent. No, actually I was nice, as always. I just ask the hardhitting journalistic questions.

I missed The Actual's set. Excuses and reasoning can be found below. Sorry, Actual.

The New Amsterdams were very good, and the studio material from their forthcoming album Killed or Cured sounds like it has a stripped/alt-country vibe, but that was kinda lost in the cavernous long hall of the club. It was rollicking. Here is a sample:

VIDEO: The New Amsterdams


The danceability and reggae grooves of State Radio was a surprise that I didn't expect, kind of like the homeless guy earlier that day on the pier who hid inside bush branches and jumped out at people as they walked by. Kind of like that. Except State Radio blended a mix of their politically-charged (anti-war) songs with a Dispatch tune or two (which were wildly well-received) and had some extremely enthusiastic, and bouncy, fans the whole way through. Maybe a bit too heavy for me on the "white guy sounds like he's from Jamaica, mon" vibe, but those guys are undoubtedly loved.

VIDEO: State Radio


Perhaps this is no reflection on the shows itself, but rather the (open bar) happy hour I attended beforehand, but I think I most enjoyed this part of my evening -- dude busts out with freestyle interpretive breakdancing spontaneously in the Diesel Store on Post where we were enjoying cocktails. I happened to have my camera out taking a picture at the moment, and had to share:


(direct link)

A later incarnation of this same idea ended with him sprawled backwards across my lap. It was soo random that it was rad.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At March 06, 2007 1:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pearl Jam - they have the best txts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter