I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Black Crowes: Something old, something new

The Black Crowes have been haunting studios on both coasts recording new material for their first studio album in six years (since 2001's Lions, which gave us the ace single "Soul Singing," one of my favorites lately). Scheduled for a 2007 release, the deliciously swaggering Southern-rock band has not yet decided whether to go major label or independent for this release.

Chris and Rich Robinson are playing two acoustic shows next week (as part of their Brothers Of A Feather series) in Atlanta, and have one lone show on the schedule currently for 2007 -- at the Jazz Aspen Snowmass festival in June. Roadtrip?

Here are two previously-posted new songs from the Robinsons which we may be hearing a studio treatment of soon:

I Got The Late Nights Again (live 4/14/06)

Cut From The Shadow (live 4/14/06)

And this is something I have highly enjoyed listening to -- a richly fantastic full-band set from the SF Fillmore in August of 2005 (captured on the live DVD Freak N Roll Into The Fog). This audio is an amalgamation of the best from their five-night stand with the San Franciscans. According to SF Chronicle writer Joel Selvin, "The Black Crowes never sounded better than they did Saturday at the Fillmore Auditorium, the peak performance of a sold-out five-night run...(the band) definitely staked a claim in these Fillmore shows as one of the last of the classic rock bands” (8/8/05).

I did find it funny when Chris Robinson botches the lyrics to "Hard To Handle" -- how many times have they sang that bit about ten cent lovin'? Ah well, it's the Fillmore. I forget the words sometimes when I'm at the Fillmore too.

BLACK CROWES @ THE FILLMORE
AUGUST 2005

3/28: I just took these files down because I found out that the set is commercially available in its entirety. I thought it was just a live boot. So I have another great Black Crowes show that is going to go up in its place, I am prepping that now. Check back!


An announcement of 2007 tour dates are expected from the Black Crowes in support of their new album. I don't think I've seen them live before (although I wouldn't rule it out in my blurred summer-festival-heydays of the '90s) and would love to.


Speaking of shows, I am heading out to see Cracker tonight at the sticky-floored Black Sheep here in town, really the only good live music venue in the city. I can't convince anyone to shirk their adult responsibilities with me and come out on a Tuesday night, but I wouldn't miss it.

I've mentioned before that Cracker was probably the first true rock and roll show I saw, along with the Counting Crows, back in 1994. Tonight will probably be different in that I am not planning to crowd-surf during "Euro-Trash Girl."

Labels:

12 Comments:

At March 27, 2007 12:12 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Sorry I don't happen to be in Denver, Heather -- I'd gladly join you for a Cracker show....

 
At March 27, 2007 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey h,

i may be there tonight too. we haven't chatted in so long! i owe you a beer.

CSD

 
At March 27, 2007 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your blog and all the fantastic music you link sure makes me miss the 90's and what it use to mean to get a paycheck from my college job and go straight to the the used cd store. good ol' flat black and circular in east lansing. anyway, thanks for taking the time to share all these great tunes.

 
At March 27, 2007 3:50 PM, Blogger Natsthename said...

Cracker rocks..saw them a few years back with that fabulous woman, L.P. as a guest vocalist. ENjoy the show!!

 
At March 27, 2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Brendan said...

Thanks for the Black Crowes show! I do like me some southern rawk. :]

 
At March 28, 2007 7:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Cracker. I hope you offer a review of the show. There latest album, Greenland, is decent. Always fun in concert.

Kev in St. Louis

 
At March 28, 2007 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cracker van Beethoven! kick-ass.
I hope the boys put on a great show for you. Review, Please!

 
At March 28, 2007 11:54 AM, Blogger JJ said...

You should have let me know you were going - I'm sure I could have pawned off the kids on my parents - I only found out about the show on Saturday so I didn't have time to get anybody to go with me.

 
At March 28, 2007 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Moly!!! (Much better than plain old secular moly). That Black Crowes stuff is GREAT!

 
At March 28, 2007 2:49 PM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

ahhh...one of the drunkards favorite rock and roll bands. this is great news...I was totally out of the loop. thanks for spreading the good news.

 
At March 29, 2007 8:40 AM, Blogger Cpooch said...

Heather, Crowes shows are great times. They never fail to put a little boogie in my soul. I'm jonesin' some now at the office. Sunny skies and the Black Crowes, like Baseball and apple pie. Definetly get yourself to some freak n' roll. Thanks for the tunes. Peace. Chris P.

 
At August 01, 2008 11:10 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Black Crowes have been tearing it up all over the place, I saw them at Voodoo last year and they were phenomenal. Voodoo's tenth anniversary site (Thetenthritual.com) has posted a lot of videos from the past ten years they feature two Crowes videos "Thorn In My Pride" and "Remedy" as well as an interview with Chris from 2001. Check em out at Voodoo Experience Videos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter