I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

When you're a Jet, you're a Jet

I realized just now that I have not yet made a decision for that Romeo & Juliet soundtrack contest (because I hate picking just one winner and not everyone else, so I put it off to see if one picks itself. Yes, I am a procrastinator, and it worked for me all through college). So I finally sat down and re-read through all of your fantastic entries (topic: favorite Shakespearean adaptations) and now have to add several of these movies mentioned into my list of ones to see.

As for a winner, I have to pick Paco. Get this, Paco teaches at my high school back in San Jose (Lynbrook Vikings, hats off to thee!) and uses both the Zeffirelli and Luhrmann versions of Romeo and Juliet to instruct the young minds of tomorrow. Maybe by awarding him this soundtrack stuffed with forefathers of good music, he can also use it in class and steer the kids away from the dangers of 50 Cent and/or Fall Out Boy. Prevention is the best medicine. Plus, let me repeat -- a teacher at my high school reads my blog. That's just too weird for me to wrap my mind around right now.

Several interesting movies that I need to see (or revisit) were mentioned:
Looking For Richard (with Al Pacino), thanks Amy
Scotland, PA (with Christopher Walken), thanks Maggie
West Side Story, as an adaption of Romeo & Juliet (maybe I was so troubled by my parents, who love musicals, singing along with this one that I forgot to notice the story it was based on), thanks Sybil
Othello (with Laurence Fishburn & Kenneth Branagh)

Steve mentioned the film adaptation of Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead; I have the book on my shelf, must re-read it. Steve also very nearly won by citing Strange Brew (eh?) as a loose Hamlet adaptation that he enjoys. Yes indeed.


And this, because I will use any excuse to listen to this great cover:

Romeo & Juliet (Dire Straits cover) - Matt Nathanson

Labels:

3 Comments:

At February 21, 2007 10:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heather,
have you heard the killers version of romeo and juliet? If not here's the clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87cLyBR1JTo

 
At February 22, 2007 9:48 PM, Blogger B said...

"Maybe by awarding him this soundtrack stuffed with forefathers of good music, he can also use it in class and steer the kids away from the dangers of 50 Cent and/or Fall Out Boy"

Haha, I LOVE it!
-B

 
At February 26, 2007 1:23 PM, Blogger paco said...

as a treat i will play the soundtrack in my class. anything to save young minds!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter