I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, February 16, 2007

New Elliott Smith double album: New Moon

Good news this past week for Elliott Smith fans: the Kill Rock Stars label has announced the release of a posthumous double disc of unreleased Elliott material from 1995-1997 (self-titled and Either/Or album eras). It's called New Moon and due out on May 8th.

Here is the full tracklist and where I had (or could find) live or demo versions of the songs, I added an mp3. It will be great to hear some of this gorgeous material cleaned up and finally out in the light of day.


ELLIOTT SMITH: NEW MOON

DISC ONE
Angel In The Snow (demo version)
Talking To Mary (live 3/31/95)
High Times (demo version)
New Monkey
Looking Over My Shoulder
Going Nowhere
Riot Coming (live in SF 3/6/95)
All Cleaned Out
First Timer
Go By (live in NY 6/7/95)
Miss Misery - early version
Thirteen (demo version)

DISC TWO
Georgia Georgia
Whatever/Folk Song in C (live in Portland, 9/7/94)
Big Decision (live in NJ, 4/12/97)
Placeholder
New Disaster
Seen How Things Are Hard (live)
Fear City
Either/Or (demo version)
Pretty Mary K - other version
Almost Over
See You Later (live NYC 3/30/96)
Half Right (live in Portland 2/26/99)

According to the press release, the final mixing for the album was done by Larry Crane, who is the archivist for the estate of Elliott Smith, and a significant portion of proceeds from the album sales will go directly to Outside In, a Portland-based social service organization dedicated to providing diverse services for homeless youth and low-income adults. [thx]

Labels:

6 Comments:

At February 16, 2007 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, much as I love the original, Elliott's take on "Thirteen" is one of my favourite songs of all time.

 
At February 16, 2007 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going the way of 2pac. I'm not complaining.

 
At February 17, 2007 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great news. Good to have this out legitimately.

Bruce K.

 
At February 23, 2007 8:29 AM, Blogger crichar3 said...

Thanks for the Elliot Smith tracks -- I'm listening to them right now. A great talent gone way too soon.

I have "Belief" by John Mayer off Continuum trapped in my head right now. If you haven't heard it, I suggest you give it a try.

 
At March 03, 2007 11:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i try to push out a tear for this man at least once a year..lol..adore his music

 
At March 16, 2007 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

high times is absolutely amazing. other then that i cant describe it, its too much. the man was a genius

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter