I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Jesse Malin: Live in Dublin, 1/21/07

I really, really like Jesse Malin's new album Glitter In The Gutter, coming out in the U.S. on March 20th on Adeline Records -- it may be his strongest and most cohesive album yet. It's exceptionally listenable, catchy and full of soaring hooks, but also with solid rock sensibilities, crushing lyrical turns, and some ace guest spots (Springsteen and Ryan Adams to name two). Not sure about the pink lettering on the cover, though. But I guess it's true what they say, real men wear pink.

This exuberant recent show from Ireland is a must-listen, nicely previewing some of his new material and ripping through the back catalog, with two great covers. I'd love to see him live again - he's so joyful in the middle of the music.


JESSE MALIN IN DUBLIN
January 21, 2007 [FULL SHOW ZIPPED]
* equals new song

Riding On The Subway
Hotel Columbia
Prisoners of Paradise *
Black Haired Girl *
Queen Of The Underworld
Little Star *
Downliner
Don't Let Them Take You Down *
Cigarettes & Violets
Broken Radio *
Brooklyn
Almost Grown
Wendy
Bastards of Young (Replacements cover) *
Solitaire
Lucinda *
In The Modern World *
Death or Glory (Clash cover)
Aftermath *


The Glitter In The Gutter record release party is March 19th at the Bowery, for those of you lucky ducks in NYC. Definitely pick this album up when you can.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At February 22, 2007 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my Not Squealing face.

...

TOO LATE!

If anybody ever bootlegs the Glasgow show we were at the next night I would DIE, since we'd get a mention.

 
At February 22, 2007 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice post indeed..theres a beautiful malin performance from 2004 available over at the lullabyes blog..go here and scroll down (and brilliant sets from Micheal Penn and the Honeydogs from the same day
http://www.lullabyes.net/blog/
jay strange

 
At February 22, 2007 11:56 AM, Blogger Steve said...

Thank you for the post!

His cover of "Bastards of Young" is very cool. That's one of my favorite Replacements songs and his version is a nice reworking of it.

(Plus, I just love his New Yawk accent. Very urban!)

 
At February 22, 2007 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

malin was the quintessential punk- band-name-dropping, "look, man, I'm from NYC, I'm from the street', G-D-E chord playing 'rocker' when I saw him open for ryan adams. whatever you might see in malin, you might see in sammy hagar. blandecliche city.

he's about as rock and roll as michael scott.

d. schrute

 
At February 23, 2007 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Malin has a totally annoying voice. Like fingernails down a blackboard. He couldn't make it as a punk rocker back in the day, and he sure hasn't elevated his quality of music. I have two of his albums (don't ask me why), but I'll sure be passing on this one. Horrible stuff. But, to each his own.

 
At February 23, 2007 8:15 AM, Blogger heather said...

I can agree that Malin's voice is an acquired taste.

 
At May 30, 2007 3:11 PM, Blogger Ryan Spaulding said...

Jesse Malin is the best!

 
At November 15, 2007 11:28 AM, Blogger Zach said...

Saw this late. Any chance it could be re-uploaded?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter