I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ian Brown (Stones Roses) goes the orchestral route for his next album, plus a new song!

According to the NME, former Stone Roses frontman Ian Brown has recorded material with a 30-piece orchestra for his forthcoming 5th album The World Is Yours, a follow-up to 2004's Solarized, which I quite enjoyed.

"I started thinking about which songs I'd used in February to April last year, then I started on writing the music and working with my producers Black Ox, working on it all July, August," said Brown. "By October/November, I had a clear idea of what songs I wanted to do and then we went into the studio in December, so I've done a month now. I recorded with a 30-piece orchestra last week. It's going to sound amazing!"

Brown has been working with bassists Andy Rourke (Smiths) and Paul Ryder (Happy Mondays) for the album, and has been "chasing" Paul McCartney to help out as well. It's due out later this year.

Check out these two songs from Solarized which I love -- a dense, stylish and fascinating album. Brown has long been interested in classical sounds incorporated into modern songs, as evidenced by the looped strings & clanging piano notes mixed with taut beats on tunes such as this one (from Solarized):

Keep What Ya Got - Ian Brown

Man I love that song. I've always smiled at the tongue-in-cheek lyric about fame, "When your halo slips for good you'll have to wear your hood." Then this tune, "Sweet Fantastic" (which is indeed both), starts with a brass band bit that lapses into sleek downtempo goodness. It's lovely and sexy.

Sweet Fantastic - Ian Brown

Finally, check out the brand new instrumental from Ian Brown called "On Track" just added to his MySpace page, written for the Russian movie Paragraf 78. I have no idea how that collaboration came about, and clicking unknown links on the apocalyptic Russian page freaked me out (you like downld virus? okay!), so I have nothing more to report on the movie itself.

[stream] On Track - Ian Brown

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At February 22, 2007 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always like Ian Brown's Stone Roses work. The combo platter of his vocals and John Squire's guitars was wonderful. I actually liked the second record, Second Coming, much better than the first.

Anyway, I've always known that Brown did solo work, but I was concerned that he didn't have it - that he was a rich man's Liam Gallagher. Didn't realize he already had 4 solo records.

These tracks are good. Any others that I can download to get a feel for his solo work?

 
At February 23, 2007 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not visit Ian brown's official site! There are samples on there.
Enjoy !!

 
At February 23, 2007 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Keep What Ya Got the song he wrote with Noel Gallagher?

 
At February 23, 2007 6:47 AM, Blogger heather said...

Hmmm, anon. According to my friend Wiki you are correct.

 
At February 23, 2007 7:29 AM, Blogger wwjblog said...

ian brown with an orchestra sounds great! i've stayed away from all things non stone roses, but maybe its time to dig back and see what he's been up to.

 
At February 23, 2007 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, The music for 'Keep What You Got' was written by Noel Gallagher. It was originally called 'Teotihuacan', which was originally featured in the X Files movie and soundtrack. Noel never did anything else with the track, so he gave it to Ian to write lyrics over.

 
At March 01, 2007 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian Brown is fucking superb! Of all the Roses, he's the one I think we all expected least of...and he's come out with the best stuff, always thinking, always challenging, always rewarding.

His work with Unkle is brilliant too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter