I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, January 06, 2007

We go side by side / Laugh until it's right :: Toad The Wet Sprocket at the Warfield, 12/17/2002

I am so glad I dusted this delightful little set off. It's been a while since I listened to it, but this was a fantastic show I attended in 2002; I remember being supremely excited about the high school dream-pairing lineup of Toad/Counting Crows (and went to two shows of the five-show run). Both bands were top notch.

After formally disbanding in 1998 (after over a decade of making music together), Toad The Wet Sprocket reunited for a string of shows, opening for Counting Crows in San Francisco during one of the Crows' December runs at the Warfield. Despite being the opening act and only having 45 minutes to play, this is an excellent setlist full of songs that perfectly align with what I would have hand-picked if they had asked my opinion. It's a night of rosy memories -- I saw the show with two of my longtime best friends, and I recall having dinner before the concert at a fantastic tiny little Italian restaurant that I've never been able to recall or find ever again. Blame it on the red wine.

Toad The Wet Sprocket
December 17, 2002
The Warfield, SF

01. Something's Always Wrong
02. Woodburning
03. Crowing
04. Windmills
05. See You Again
06. Falling
07. Brother (oh, I love this song)
08. Fall Down
09. Amnesia
10. Crazy Life
11. Walk On The Ocean

TOAD SHOW AS ZIP FILE

Labels:

11 Comments:

At January 06, 2007 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Music gets no better than Glen Phillips. He's as good as it gets.

Go see him on tour next month!

2/7 Lobero Theatre Santa Barbara, CA
2/8 Hotel Cafe Los Angeles, CA
2/9 Great American Music Hall San Francisco, CA
2/10 The Aladdin Theatre Portland, OR
2/11 Chop Suey Seattle, Washington
2/13 Soiled Dove Underground Denver, CO
2/15 The Varsity Theater Minneapolis, MN
2/16 Majestic Theater Madison, WI
2/17 The Black Orchid Chicago, IL
2/18 The Ark Ann Arbor, MI
2/21 Eddie's Attic Decatur, GA
2/23 Tupelo Music Hall Londonderry, NH
2/24 Club Passim Cambridge, MA
2/25 World Cafe Live Philadelphia, PA
2/26 Club Cafe Pittsburgh, PA
2/28 Joe's Pub New York, NY
3/2 Outpost in the Burbs at Unitarian Church of Montclair Montclair, NJ
3/3 Jammin' Java Vienna, VA
3/4 Ram's Head Annapolis, MD

 
At January 06, 2007 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another sign of why you are the best. Complete shame they were never really regarded for the incredible music they made. Dulcinea stands up there with CC's August as the best of the 90s.

 
At January 06, 2007 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff! They were a terrific band - very underrated.

 
At January 06, 2007 9:33 PM, Blogger jeffro said...

I think Windmills is linked to Crowing, also...

 
At January 06, 2007 10:11 PM, Blogger heather said...

thanks for the tour dates, andrew! and jeffro, i fixed the link for Windmills, which is such a fantastic song. :)

 
At January 07, 2007 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Heather! I love me some Toad. :)

 
At January 07, 2007 9:42 PM, Blogger mel... said...

I felt the same when I was able to see Toad perform for the first time at the LA dates of this tour. While I had seen Glen perform solo a few times, it was a great night to see the full band. Saw them again last year (weird to be saying that) in Seattle with Matt Nathanson opening - another awesome show.

 
At January 08, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger THE MERKIN MAN said...

Unfortunately, Radar Love by Golden Earring is still one of these songs for me.

 
At January 09, 2007 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Heather!! My first Toad concert was when they opened for the Cranberries back in ... '95 or '96 (I was there for Toad). Anyway, I was fortunate to see them again in 2006 when Big Head Todd & the Monsters opened for Toad!! Great concert from some of my "college bands".

 
At May 28, 2007 8:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for all of the great music insight. I just stumbled upon this and would LOVE to hear it. Is there a chance you could update the zip file???

Thanks again!

 
At May 29, 2007 4:29 PM, Blogger heather said...

Sorry, I think I deleted those files! Blasphemy, I know. I am running out of disc space. Try the Live Music Archive, I think that's where I got it in the first place. Thanks for reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter