I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

UPDATED: G. Love's original demo tape songs: "Oh Yeah!"

G. Love (or Garrett Dutton, as his mama calls him) sent out this cool announcement today:

In January Philadelphonic Records will be releasing my "first" record, G. Love Oh Yeah. This record was recorded in 1992 in a number of different studios including Skidmore College and Temple University studios.

This record was the first documentation of Hip-Hop Blues and includes the original recordings of "Baby's Got Sauce", "Shooting Hoops" and "Rhyme for the Summertime." I originally pressed up 250 cassette tapes of “Oh Yeah” and sold them on the streets of Boston while I was busking.

I call “Oh Yeah” my first record and 15 years later it finally hits the digital stores. Pretty cool. I still can't figure out exactly how I played all of these songs. It’s as easy to hear the John Hammond and Lightning Hopkins influence as it is to hear the De La Soul. It’s definitely a cool record and is 100 percent acoustic solo foot-stomping-streetside-blues.

Samples:
Mother - G. Love
Sauce (original version of Baby's Got Sauce) - G. Love

I think the album sounds fantastic, as early thumpin' stompin' G Love tends to be my favorite. The digital release of the album is set for January 23rd, with an exclusive earlier release on iTunes a week sooner (1/16).

:: TRACKLISTING AND NOTES FROM GARRETT::
1. SAUCE
The original version of "baby’s got sauce… the version I used to play on the streets of Boston … the original hip hop blues
2. WHAT’S GOING ON
This is a sweet romancing song written when I couldn't get a date. Front porch style.
3. WRITING ON THE WALLS
When blues and hip hop city streets meet. A glorification of my graffiti writing days.
4. GIRLS AT THE LAUNDROMAT
Another day dream about meeting the perfect girl at the Laundromat.
5. RUN FOR ME
This is a cool tune about trying to get served as a minor all about finding yourself in a strange town.
6. MOTHER
A dope rap about saving Mother Nature. The chorus was inspired by the Robert Johnson tune "breakin’ down"
7. RHYME FOR THE SUMMERTIME
This is the first rap I wrote. Slide guitar and chicken scratch.
8. LEAVING THE CITY
One of my best blues. A city kid dreaming of the country.
9. THE FAT ONE
Nothing wrong with the fat one.
10. SHOOTIN’ HOOPS
The original version of a G. Love classic. No frills straight streetside.

:: TOUR DATES :: (some with Matt Costa)
Fri. 1/12 – Nashville, TN – City Hall
Sat. 1/13 – New Orleans, LA – House of Blues
Sun. 1/14 – New Orleans, LA – House of Blues
Wed. 1/17 – Tulsa, OK – Cain’s Ballroom
Thu. 1/18 – Kansas City, MO – Voodoo Lounge
Fri. 1/19 – Denver, CO – Fillmore Auditorium
Sat. 1/20 – Denver, CO – Fillmore Auditorium
Tue. 1/23 – Seattle, WA – The Showbox
Wed. 1/24 – Seattle, WA – The Showbox
Thu. 1/25 – Portland, OR – Crystal Ballroom
Fri. 1/26 – San Francisco, CA – Warfield Theatre
Sat. 1/27 – San Francisco, CA – Warfield Theatre
Tue. 1/30 – San Diego, CA – House of Blues
Wed. 1/31 – San Diego, CA – House of Blues
Thu. 2/1 – Tempe, AZ – The Marquee Theater
Fri. 2/2 – West Hollywood, CA – House of Blues
Sat. 2/3 – West Hollywood, CA – House of Blues
Fri. 2/16 – Chicago, IL – House of Blues
Wed. 2/28 – Baltimore, MD – Rams Head Live

Labels:

3 Comments:

At January 04, 2007 10:01 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Wow, his voice has deepened over the years. He seems like a cool guy.

 
At January 04, 2007 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has actually been around for awhile. I got it from his website maybe 5 years ago. It's pretty good, not great. The original version of Shootin Hoops is awesome.

 
At March 02, 2009 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one, maybe two, of the original cassettes. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter