I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, January 26, 2007

New record label from Adam Duritz

Adam Duritz from Counting Crows has formed a new record label called Tyrannosaurus Records (or T-Recs, har har). He's signed two bands thus far, some high school kids from Chicago who go by the moniker Blacktop Mourning (just added to SXSW), and a rapper named NOTAR. If you'd asked which one I would think I'd like better, it'd be the former, but actually I don't find them exceptional at all. I like me the NOTAR fella more - oddly compelling, in an 8-Mile sort of way. Check out his hustle and flow on his MySpace.

Cal-fan Adam recently also chronicled his musical MySpace browsing in this journal entry:

I closed out my MySpace wanderings with a trip over to the Low Stars page. Their album is done and it's coming out soon. It is the most exquisitely beautiful country rock harmony album since the glory days of Crosby, Stills, Nash, & Young, The Byrds, and The Eagles. It's just amazing.

It features singer/songwriters Jude, Chris Seefried (formerly of Joe90), Dave Gibbs aka "Kid Lightning" (formerly of Gigolo Aunts), and Jeff Russo (formerly of Tonic). It's just amazing record. It was produced by George Drakoulias (The Black Crowes, Tom Petty, Maria McKee, Primal Scream). Immy plays a lot of gtr and pedal steel on it. It's just really cool.

. . . Dave Gibbs co-wrote "Los Angeles", one of the songs for our new CC album, with Ryan Adams and me, by the way.


So there you have it, a few additional recommendations for the day if you feel like clicking over in between important work meetings and IM chatting when you are supposed to be finished that spreadsheet. Counting Crows are currently convened in NYC with Gil Norton finally at work on a new album. It's only been, like, over four years since we had anything new from them? Count me stoked. Here's Ryan Adams' collab with them from that album, Hard Candy:

Butterfly In Reverse - Counting Crows (written with Ryan Adams, Ryan on bgvs)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At January 26, 2007 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pearl Jam are going to tour Europe again ... wooooooooohoooooooooo ... I am going to the Munich concert ...

 
At January 26, 2007 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so flipping glad you put "Butterfly in Reverse" on there. Adam and Ryan make this one of my favorite songs ever.

-Mary

 
At January 27, 2007 5:57 AM, Blogger Michael Krahn said...

Hey,

I just put the second of 5 parts about Counting Crows up on my blog.

Found you through Google blog search because you mentioned the band.

Check it out:

http://krahn.blogspot.com/

 
At January 28, 2007 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the headsup on the low stars. good to see jude's name out there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter