I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, January 04, 2007

I have a secret

So, my secret is that I am addicted to wonderful, touching, funny, sad, voyueristic and strangely connecting appeal of the PostSecret blog and series of books. Billed as an "ongoing community art project," people are invited to send in their secrets on one side of a homemade postcard. The secrets range all over the map, from humorous to heartbreaking, and the anonymity only makes it more fascinating. The author could be the guy sitting in the next cube, it could be your sister, it could be your dentist.

There have been travelling exhibits in the past of the actual postcards that Frank (the PostSecret dude) has received -- many that have never been seen anywhere else. He is hitting the bookstore circuit this month, signing the new PostSecret book, and sharing some of his stories. I am going to try and check out the one in Denver.

Dirty Little Secret (remix) - Thievery Corporation/Sarah McLachlan


POSTSECRET EVENTS

1/9/07
Brooklyn, NY
Barnes & Noble

1/10/07
Chelsea, NY
Barnes & Noble

1/11/07
Grapevine, TX
Books-A-Million
Grapevine Mills Mall (7:00 PM)

1/13/07
Austin, TX
BookPeople

1/15/07
Torrance, CA
Borders

1/16/07
Los Angeles, CA
UCLA

1/17/07
Boulder, CO
Boulder Book Store

1/17/07
Denver, CO
Tattered Cover Book Store

1/18/07
Edina, MN
Barnes & Noble

1/19/07
Minneapolis, MN
BirchBark Books

1/22/07
Atlanta, GA
Barnes & Noble


P.S. I may have even sent in my own secret, but only the mailman knows for sure.

10 Comments:

At January 05, 2007 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a little unnerving...

 
At January 05, 2007 11:14 AM, Blogger Greg said...

Good call. I wake up on Sunday morning, and checking for the new set of postcards is the first thing I do. I love (x200) this site.

 
At January 05, 2007 12:01 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I had never heard of this but can already sense that it will be an addiction for me. I'm already thinking of ideas for mine. Thanks!

 
At January 05, 2007 1:59 PM, Blogger True Jersey Girl said...

I love postsecret and wish I was creative enough to come up with the awesome art to go with all my dirty little secrets!

 
At January 05, 2007 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Postsecret is so damn good. I love it. Most of the time my favorites are the ones I could've sent in myself.

-April

 
At January 06, 2007 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I didn't know they were coming to Boulder! I work right down the block from the bookstore, and will go.

Love your blog.

Linda
www.stillisstillmoving.com

 
At January 06, 2007 10:44 PM, Blogger Jeff C. said...

I bought myself this book for Christmas - it's fantastic!

 
At January 09, 2007 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm always reading Postsecret each weekend! There was an exhibition in London the other month that I made a special effort to go to - it was quite humbling to see the displays and then the hundreds of postcards that people who visited the display had written. It's good to know that there are other people who are going through the same things, who feel the same as you do, and can express it when you can't. Even if you've not written the secret yourself, when you see 'your secret' or a similar one, it still makes things better.
I was little disappointed with the UK release of the book though because it was basically a rehash of the US book and I've already seen that one!

Long, rambling comments are the best! I don't know if you know/ have seen it but the video for Dirty Little Secret by All-American Rejects is to do with the postsecret site and has loads of people showing their secrets. Even if you don't like the song, it's good to watch the video.

 
At January 11, 2007 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that you in the top photo?

 
At January 21, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also addicted to postsecret! I can't even tell you in any amount of words how much postsecret has helped me (I realize how many other people out there are feeling the same way I do) thank you

-Kimmy 15 years old

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter