I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, December 21, 2006

I'll have a blue Christmas without you, Chris

Maybe it's the huge blizzard that has (this time seriously) immobilized my city, but I am feeling all holly and jolly. I think that my favorite Christmas album that I am playing the most 'round the house this yuletide season is Chris Isaak's 2004 Christmas CD.

In addition to rockin' retro covers of several old standards, there are five originals and duets with Stevie Nicks as well. It's got such a nice cozy feel to it, with a hint of the surf/jangle/crooner vibe that makes me love Chris. I do recommend buying the whole thing for your Christmas enjoyment -- it's one I look forward to taking out each year. Some people have an aversion to Isaak, but not me. There is nothing but love in my heart for that man.

Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Chris Isaak
(duet with Stevie Nicks)

Pretty Paper - Chris Isaak

(for good measure:)
Pretty Paper - Roy Orbison

Gotta Be Good - Chris Isaak
(check the fun & naughty innuendo)

And this song's not on the album, but I have categorized it in my iTunes as a bonus track for the CD. The shimmering cymbal roll at the beginning of the track is reminiscent of the sound of the waves - just me and Chris 'round a fire on Ocean Beach singing the season.

I'll Be Home For Christmas (bonus track) - Chris Isaak

And, here's one thing that I had completely forgotten about that made me smile when I opened the CD this year:

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At December 21, 2006 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My cd has 16 tracks. Your bonus (thank you) is "track 19." What gives? And what are track 17 and 18?

 
At December 21, 2006 2:16 PM, Blogger heather said...

Yeah, sorry Dan - I think I numbered it wrong. I actually don't remember where I picked up that track so it retains its old numbering from wherever it came from....

 
At December 21, 2006 2:39 PM, Blogger c said...

i thought of you this morning when i saw denver was snowed under. keep swingin' ;)

 
At December 21, 2006 5:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, on the other hand, am going completely stir crazy in this blizzard. I wish Chris Issak would just come rescue me.

 
At January 01, 2007 6:08 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I saw him this summer in lil' ol' Dayton, OH and it made for a suprisingly rocking evening. Motto for this tour stop: Filthy for filthy's sake. "Don't blame me if after the show you're coughing up sequins in the parking lot and sayin', 'Damn, that was filthy', cuz you asked for it." I fell in love with him at that moment. If it hadn't been then, it would have been when he trotted out the mirror suit. Love. Him.

 
At January 01, 2007 6:13 PM, Blogger Michael said...

And I just realized these songs are gone! Damned by holiday ski trip! And, also, bless it.

 
At January 03, 2007 9:53 PM, Blogger heather said...

I love filthy Chris. :)
MY sister and I won tickets to see him at the Fillmore in SF several years ago and I'd pictured him as this modern sultry crooner type like in the Wicked Game video. But he came out in the great sequined suits and the pompadour and all the bravado and I loved him too. I'd always appreciated his music but that night sealed the deal. He reminded me of seeing someone like Elvis (or how I imagine it would be). Great charisma.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter