I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, December 04, 2006

I know a place that's safe and warm: Lemonheads @ the Bluebird Theatre

Somehow in my 12+ years of fandom, I'd never made it to see Evan Dando and Co. in concert before Saturday night's show with "The Lemonheads" at the Bluebird Theatre in Denver. There was a deep sense of goodness & nostalgia permeating the show, which I was more excited about than any show I've seen recently.

The warm and golden voice of Evan Dando soundtracks many many good memories for me, and I've loved him from his early days of alternative poster-boyhood (with the flowing long hair), through his Oasis/party hearty/crack cocaine days (though I was with you on that 'what're you doin' man?' train of thought), the solo albums, on up to this year with the fantastic new Lemonheads album.

(yes, that photo's upside down)

On a freeeezing Saturday night, the venue was intimate, the setlist fabulously varied, and Dando was still rocking the stoner-sailor look with a striped long-sleeved shirt, although a bit older (aren't we all?). The crowd was a mix of reminiscing fans in their 30s-40s and beyond, some barely 21-plus who probably were playing kickball on the blacktop when It's A Shame About Ray came out, and the same enthusiastic Japanese girl from the Ben Kweller show a few months ago who brought presents for the performers and pom poms for cheering.

Check out some video: the stage was quite dark so photos didn't turn out too hot.

GREAT BIG NO (loooooove the way this video turned out once the song starts - gorgeous lighting, sounds fantastic)


THE OUTDOOR TYPE (a divergence from the setlist, a happy surprise)


INTO YOUR ARMS (also a bonus, a lovely little acoustic version, just a minute and a half of sweet goodness)


MORE VIDEOS: It's About Time (audio is pretty out-of-control fuzzy loud, sorry), Become The Enemy (love this from the new album, again watch the fuzz-audio), and a snippet of My Drug Buddy (which I think I may have been, uh, singing backup to as I filmed). Also very good were the renditions of Ride With Me and Rudderless, but I didn't get video. And he did Being Around, which you either love or hate, eh?



The impending concert date inspired me to go into the basement and open my box of high school ephemera in search of a little tongue-in-cheek zine I ordered back in the day called "Die Evan Dando, Die." At least I hope it's a joke.

I think the author of this photocopied, hand-addressed bit of '90s lore was just jealous of Evan's sunny good looks, and annoyed with his sensitive-strummer persona.

If I had gotten to talk with Evan (I didn't), I was considering asking him to sign it, but also a little worried that he'd think it was a bit scary (and me as well, by extension). So I think that maybe it worked out for the best for everyone involved that's he's a bit reclusive nowadays after shows.

Here is a helpful guide from the zine, which I hope you can read because it's awesome:


LISTEN: Lemonheads on NPR last month

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

At December 04, 2006 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the scan, he can't listen to the Descendants?

Ironic considering that half the Descendants members are his new backing band!

 
At December 04, 2006 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

into your arms = perfect. the dando is coming to visit me in two weeks. i totally should have stayed.

 
At December 04, 2006 1:47 PM, Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

He opened with Hannah & Gabbi? Sigh. One of my all time favorite songs. Ever! Great post.

 
At December 04, 2006 2:55 PM, Blogger heather said...

jesse, I'm pretty sure he started with Big Gay Heart, actually. that setlist was moderately followed.

 
At December 04, 2006 3:09 PM, Blogger Dainon. said...

We're practically the same person. I had a ticket to see this show in SLC last weekend, but decided to opt out at the last minute. Glad you enjoyed!

 
At December 04, 2006 9:50 PM, Blogger tad said...

i am so jealous, that sounds so completely rad

 
At December 05, 2006 8:24 AM, Blogger moe berg said...

the l'heads show i saw at roseland in new york, 1994 was an all time highlight - and would have been even if courtney love hadn't shown up for a i'm-completely=cracked-out-my-husband-
just-killed-himself
duet on 'miss world' and 'doll parts'.

 
At December 05, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Dando was a chick, he be the hottest chick ever. I mean, after my wife of course (love ya babe.)

 
At December 05, 2006 5:43 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

so, i redid my blog. just because i was up really late. i alterd the banner i made for you, i feel kinda bad, but you wern't using it and i didn't want all the hard work and time i spent on it go to waste. but please tell me what you think of my new design. hope you forgive me!

 
At December 05, 2006 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work on the L-heads, Heather: thanks!

Heck, I would have left after "Hannah & Gabi" -- that song alone would have made for a perfect L-Heads gig :)

Cheers!

 
At December 07, 2006 10:53 AM, Blogger Julio Enriquez said...

how was vietnam?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter