I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Hold Steady: Outtakes (etc) from Boys & Girls In America

A friend passed this great little collection of outtakes/alternate versions/misc from The Hold Steady, Brooklyn's best bar band that is finally getting some of the acclaim they deserve with their latest album, Boys and Girls in America [see previous post].

Their sound is gritty but melodic -- and I'll have more to say on that later. For now, enjoy these:



Girls Like Status (bonus track)
Arms & Hearts (bonus track)
Teenage Liberation (bonus single)
Modesto Is Not That Sweet (amen! from Crisp Songs, Vol. 1)
You Gotta Dance (with who you came to dance with) (from Crisp Songs, Vol. 1)
Chips Ahoy! (acoustic) -

Labels:

12 Comments:

At December 06, 2006 10:50 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Thanks for posting this!

This is the second time in three days I've heard of these guys. My cousin told me I need to put that album on my amazon wish list.

Now I get a preview.

 
At December 07, 2006 9:43 AM, Blogger 100YearsOfTrash said...

this place is FANTASTIC!

 
At December 07, 2006 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pete,

These are the outtakes so they are generally the weaker tracks. Just keep that in mind, the album tracks are MUCH stronger IMO.

 
At December 07, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Sweetness. Can't wait to check this out. Been on a big kick of them lately. I've borrowed the first 2 records from the radio station and while they have their moments I can't get into them as much as Boys & Girls. Oh if you're interested Mocking Music has a live show up from Ottawa http://mockingmusic.blogspot.com/2006/11/hold-steady-live.html

 
At December 07, 2006 2:28 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

thanks going to go see them tonight (thu) for first tim

 
At December 07, 2006 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw them a couple of weeks ago and they live up to the hype. GREAT show.

 
At December 07, 2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like these guys, check out lifter puller. finn's previous band. a little more raw, it that is possible. the best thing to come out of minneapolis, since Prince.

 
At December 08, 2006 9:14 PM, Blogger Bruce said...

very very nice

 
At December 09, 2006 2:19 PM, Blogger TJ said...

Thanks for these. I saw them play live a couple nights ago and they wedged "You Gotta Dance" in during the encore and I didn't recognize it.

Great site.

 
At December 18, 2006 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh man they're down!
This site is new to me and is so great

 
At December 20, 2006 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really kicking myself for missing these Hold Steady outtakes... Any chance of a re-post? Thanx

 
At June 02, 2007 10:16 PM, Blogger Andy S said...

Any chance for a re-up of Teenage Liberation? Would be much appreciated. So sad I have nothing that plays vinyl. This, and a version of Zeppelin's Hey Hey... are locked out to me. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter