I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, November 10, 2006

Ringo's favorite drum bit

A friend asked me a few weeks ago in all seriousness if I knew what Ringo's favorite bit of drumming was that he did for The Beatles.

Yep. I didn't know. Some of you probably do.

***********************************
From an interview in The Big Beat

Max: What's your favorite piece of work you did as the drummer for the Beatles?

Ringo: My favorite piece of me is what I did on "Rain." I think I just played amazing. I was into the snare and hi-hat. I think it was the first time I used this trick of starting a break by hitting the hi-hat first instead of going directly to a drum off the hi-hat. But I couldn't do that anymore because that came out of something that could only happen back then."

"Rain" - The Beatles (b-side to "Paperback Writer")


Just one more tiny piece of musical trivia to file in your brain.
Love it.

4 Comments:

At November 10, 2006 11:27 AM, Blogger Paul said...

Ringo was doing some great stuff around that era - the drumming to "She Said, She Said" is equally fantastic, and his son Zak (who is one of the best drummers out there right now) has said that his dad's drumming on "The Word" off 'Rubber Soul' is particularly noteworthy.

But nice one on 'Rain' - My all time favorite Beatles track.

 
At November 10, 2006 12:04 PM, Blogger Meghan said...

Huh.

Very cool.

 
At November 11, 2006 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's learning little things like what Ringo's favorite drum bit was that just make my day.
Everyone should appreciate randomness.

Saw Brandi Carlile last night...awesome concert. Look forward to your post.

 
At November 12, 2006 4:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, zimcox but that's definitley Ringo playing the drum solo on "The End." Paul was a terrific drummer who can be heard on a handfull of Beatles tracks ("Back in the USSR," "Dear Prudence" & "Ballad of John & Yoko")but Ringo - who hated solos -was pushed by George Martin & the other Beatles to play a brief one at the end of Abbey Road.

"The End" was meant to be a Beatles version of the Creem/Zeppelin-style solo-swapping coming into popularity in the late sixties, and was played live in the studio. John, Paul & George traded guitar solos (listen carefully and you can identify the player of each)after Ringo's drum break.

(But give him time and for all I know Bernard Purdie will claim he played the solo on Abbey Road).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter