I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Noise Pop 2007 in San Francisco: Initial lineup announced

Already forgetting the NYC industry showcase going on recently over at CMJ, I am excited about some initial festival announcements closer to home, regarding the West Coast's Noise Pop Festival 2007 (February 27 - March 4).

San Francisco's best "indie music festival dealy" for the last 15 years, early confirmations from this well-respected shebang are pretty impressive, and include Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Jolie Holland, Josh Ritter, Sebadoh (the original lineup!), John Vanderslice, Midlake, Vic Chesnutt, and Ghostland Observatory, with more artists in the works (ultimately they'll have over 100 bands).

In addition to your quality live festival music, one component that I thought sounded especially unique was the emphasis on the intersection of music and the visual arts. Taking over the fine Swedish-American Music Hall in SF on March 3rd and 4th, Noise Pop will be hosting an art exhibition, a local designer fair, and a rock poster art show.

The festival also has an educational series element, "featuring music, entertainment and technology panel discussions." Maybe one devoted to the implications and opportunities associated with music blogging? I could be biased, but I always find those kinds of panels to be the most relevant in this particular moment in music/technological history, especially if you want to talk indie bands trying to get their music out there. Sign me up! Finally, they also offer their respected Noise Pop Film Festival. I caught a few films and shows from this festival back before I was a music blogger (I think it was 2003? or 04) and I was impressed.

For full details, see the Noise Pop website. If you think you should be IN the festival, they are also currently taking submissions. Go for it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 11, 2006 8:35 AM, Blogger Josh Gentry said...

"The festival also has an educational series element, 'featuring music, entertainment and technology panel discussions.' Maybe one devoted to the implications and opportunities associated with music blogging? "

You should be on the panel.

Josh Ritter AND Jolie Holland. Sweet.

 
At November 11, 2006 10:07 AM, Blogger Josh Gentry said...

This is a tangent, I hope you don't mind. In this post you talk about Blogging and Indie music marketing, and visual arts come up, so there's the connections. My wife start
ed what is turning out to be a fascinating art blog. Value Added Paper. The coolest thing about it is that you get to see paintings in different stages of creation.

Ah, I have a tie-in. Maybe bands should blog snippets from the studio or their livingroom from when they are writing and arranging songs.

 
At November 11, 2006 10:09 AM, Blogger Josh Gentry said...

Arrgh. Sorry about the bad link. Value Added Paper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter