I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

Just a quick post to say happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating it today! I cooked a feast for 12 (with the help of my mom, sister, and friends) and we are all absolutely stuffed to the utmost, thankful indeed. But I ran that Turkey Trot 5K again this year, so I figure I can replenish my caloric needs in high style.

My day has pretty much been a carbon copy of last year's turkey day, which is to say it was fantastic. The notable musical addition this year was that we listened to Simon & Garfunkel all afternoon for the cooking -- doesn't that just seem like Thanksgiving music? I think it got started when I was giving Ichabod (our turkey, yes we name it) his butter rubdown and due to the spices I was using I started serenading him, "Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyyyyyyme . . "

Here's what I wrote last year and it is absolutely true this year as well -- I laughed the whole time I was preparing the turkey (well, alternating with making that face above, inadvertently. What a wuss). It's rare in life that one has to follow instructions such as:
  • Press one leg down near leg clamp to release.
  • Remove neck from body cavity.
  • Remove giblet package (giblet package?!) from neck skin area
  • Using your hands, gently separate the skin from the breast at both ends. Smear the meat beneath the skin with the herb butter mix.

It was hilarious. I was talking to this little headless turkey on my counter, "sorry buddy" as I slid my fingers under his skin. In spite of the distatefulness of the beginning of the ordeal, after 3 1/2 hours in the oven, it all turned out quite well.


Red Wine, Success! - Cold War Kids

I hope you are all taking time today to remember all the myriad things that we have to be grateful for each and every day. It was a beautiful sunny day here in Colorado Springs, with good food, a table full of good friends, and good family. Happy Thanksgiving!

I Will Not Take These Things For Granted - Toad The Wet Sprocket

6 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to be a killjoy but don't you find it slightly sickening that your are singing and carressing a dead carcass of a once living breathing being and slipping your fingers between it's skin and flesh? Sure it's only a turkey. That's the typical excuse but still....

 
At November 23, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger Rich said...

Yes, anon, meat is murder.

Tasty, tasty murder.

/stolen from a T-shirt



Glad your T-day was a good one!

 
At November 24, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Dodge said...

hahahahaah...that first comment is priceless! I love it HB...Good looking bird!

 
At November 24, 2006 10:17 PM, Blogger Dainon. said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you, missy. May your leftovers last for a good week or more (I know that's what I'm banking on).

 
At November 24, 2006 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humans are at the top of the food chain for a reason!

Turkeys Taste Great!

 
At November 26, 2006 12:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm . . . tasty murder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter