I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Elliott Smith covers The Kinks: August 3, 2003

I recently stumbled across a nice little repository of live Elliott Smith and I am loving this little 4-song set of Kinks covers that Elliott performed 8/3/03 at the famed Derby in Los Angeles, just a few months before he sadly died. It would be one of his last shows.

Sound is just a little bit fuzzy, but it's so cool that I count it as worth it. One often thinks of Elliott with breathy whispered tunes, rich in that lovely sadness, but he could also bring the rock. Details of the show (which was a multi-artist affair) are quite sketch, but it doesn't sound like he's singing on all of these; some he's merely playing on I think. But he's definitely singing on Big Sky, and I enjoy the loose vibe to all of these:

Do It Again (Kinks cover) - Elliott Smith
Dead End Street (Kinks cover) - Elliott Smith
Here Comes Flash (Kinks cover) - Elliott Smith
Big Sky (Kinks cover) - Elliott Smith

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At November 29, 2006 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o i already have those!

i was really excited there for a min

but i like where ur heads at

JJ

 
At November 29, 2006 6:13 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

i used to have that repository bookmared ages ago! good find!

 
At November 29, 2006 9:14 PM, Blogger Styeiles said...

WOW!!...Thank You for this..Soo Much!!

 
At November 29, 2006 11:51 PM, Blogger Chad said...

I officially approve of this post.

:)

 
At November 30, 2006 3:07 AM, Blogger Satisfied '75 said...

my apt is across the street from that club. you should see the cheezballs there.

 
At November 30, 2006 10:20 PM, Blogger D. said...

oh my ... just after I burned a disc of Kinks covers, too! you're killin' me, Heather!

As for the snow thing, when I lived in Dallas (i'm from upstate NY) it was hilarious to see people cancel school, stay home and swerve all over the road when there was just a dusting of snow, not even half an inch. Of course it only snowed twice a year, tops, in north Tejas -- but still. I think the "White Death!!!" reaction is prevalent and goofily inappropriate -- my girl at the Very Big Design blog said just the same thing a couple years ago about Ohio -- but man, you're in COLORADO for cry-yi. I'm with you. It's Colorodo. deal with it.

OK, enough rambling... on the da Kinks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter