I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Thursday, November 16, 2006

All you need is love (and a wristband from Abbey Road Studios)

A reworking of classic Beatles songs by Sir George Martin from the Cirque du Soleil show, the new album Love will be released on Monday Nov 20th. If you are one of my British readers, you have a chance to hear the album before it is released, in the famous studio that it was originally recorded in.

I've just gotten word that the first 100 fans to turn up at 1pm tomorrow (Friday the 17th) at Abbey Road Studios will get a wristband to return later that evening (6:30pm) for an exclusive playback of the LOVE album in the legendary Studio 2.

Sounds like fun to me. Anyone seen the show yet? One friend of mine who saw it wrote me that, "It was truly a surrealistic experience with the best sound I have ever heard in my life. There were speakers in front of us, on the back of our chairs, and on the side. Highly recommended even for those who are not big Beatles fans."

I've had the pleasure of listening to the album and here is a sample track:

"Strawberry Fields Forever" - The Beatles (Savefile)

(From the official description: This begins with John's original demo before going into an early take of the song and then climaxing in a musical collage including the piano solo from "In My Life" and the harpsichord pattern from "Piggies"). It is indeed kind of fun tracing all the bits that are used in each song.

7 Comments:

At November 16, 2006 6:19 PM, Blogger Idaho Dad said...

It's been a long, long, long time since I was excited enough about a new CD to want to buy it upon the first day of release.

I'm also looking forward (but not quite as much) to the new Shins CD.

 
At November 16, 2006 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been pleasantly surprised with what i've heard from this album. At first I did'nt think it would be too good, mashing up beatles songs and all. But in reality, it's really genius!

 
At November 16, 2006 8:08 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this excellent post!

I've had the Love sampler for a few weeks now, and I've listened to it quite a lot in that time. I dig it.

I also realized that someone at EMI/Sony has to re master the original albums. It's been almost twenty years since the CD versions were released and are still available today ($11.99 @ Costco) but that's it. Hearing Octopus' Garden with Ringo vocals oh so clear , it's great, so why can't the originals sound that good?

Sorry about my rant, but your post made me think. Thanks again.

 
At November 16, 2006 8:47 PM, Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

ive only listened to a few tracks from this so far but i gotta say that i LOVE the new version of lady madonna. they didnt screw with that wonderful piano riff but they just expanded on the original. george martin did a wonderful job.

...and to think i was worried about this album!

 
At November 16, 2006 9:31 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

again, a new ryan adams song, ripped by me. and i figured out how to get better quality with audio hijack. any whom.. here you are http://www.sendspace.com/file/ujz8xz enjoy!

 
At November 18, 2006 9:02 AM, Blogger John said...

Why is Abbey Road infamous? Did something scandalous happen there that I don't know about?

 
At November 18, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger heather said...

You are so right. Wrong word used in the announcement email, I guess. Sorry I didn't catch that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter