I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Who won that Ben Folds contest?


So who did win that contest for the autographed copy of Ben Folds' new album? I was thinking the same thing, especially after I got my own copy in the mail this weekend and enjoyed listening to it. I could definitely appreciate the remastering in several of the songs - drum crescendos were crisper, and I noticed sounds I hadn't heard in the original. My copy is, of course, not autographed (come on, it's lifestyles of the obsessive and carpal-tunnel afflicted in blogland, not the rich and famous and privileged).

The superspecial winner of the poetry contest was . . . "Kev"! His simple poem echoed very closely my own trigger into a freefall of darkness and money-spending called: Visiting The Record Store.

Kev wrote:

i cant go down to the record store,
im afraid what i might do
the last time i went to that old place
i stayed the whole day through

i cant go down to the record store,
if i do, my girlfriend says she will just go
shes jealous of bruce, ryan and bob
pearl jam, ben kweller, wilco

for the things that i see at the record store
are just too tempting for a boy like me
fuel for friends i know you can save me
by sending me that special cd


How can I resist? Thanks for composing, everyone. Runners up (who get absolutely nothing) were Ryan who used a gazillion Ben Folds song titles in a story/Mad Libs type thingie, and Aaron who composed "rebuttal haikus" to each of the previous entrant. Unfortunately, Aaron lost because "bee-yotch" is actually two syllables.


TUNE SAMPLE:
"Rent-A-Cop" - Ben Folds
(Lyrics: "I’m ‘trolling food court for girls, Yeah, it’s the best job in the world, They know they’re safe with me, They love my little mustache, They love a man in uniform.")

Buy the album

Labels:

2 Comments:

At October 31, 2006 1:05 PM, Blogger j.d. said...

dang I was hoping to win. But that just means that now I will have to go out and buy it.

ps: the winning poem was really good

 
At October 31, 2006 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, i knew the "bee-yotch" thing going in to it. i'm just so uncomfortable with the actual word (which is one syllable) that i sacrificed the right meter to do the right thing :0). this is a family blog after all.

thanks. keep up the fantastic work, heather.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter