I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Superdrag/The Anniversary: Split 7" EP

A few nights ago I was browsing the record bins at Streetlight Records in San Jose (an excellent little independent record shop) and I was realizing how much I love EPs. They are so . . . digestible. Just 4 or 5 little songs, a nice collection or introduction or sidetrack from whatever else you may already have from that artist. They are just perfect.

I recently came across a little 7" of Superdrag and The Anniversary, a joint effort from 2001 with each of them contributing three songs. It was the first in a similar EP series from Vagrant Records, and is a stellar collection of pop songs that showcase some fine (and thoroughly enjoyable) songwriting with a pleasant & catchy mid-'60s feel.

One to enjoy, for sure:

Take Your Spectre Away - Superdrag
The Emotional Kind - Superdrag
I Guess It's American - Superdrag

O Lady Butterfly - The Anniversary
Anias - The Anniversary
Up In The Sky - The Anniversary

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At October 18, 2006 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no you did not just post on my Superdrag! You're welcome, and aren't the lyrics to The Emotional Kind amazing? "If I come on agnostic, she makes me believe" I have this garage demo they did, so sweet. Solid find, you should do another drag post, maybe that will be my guest blog, giving away all my Superdrag treasures. I could make a very full post.

 
At October 18, 2006 1:23 PM, Blogger Don't Need Anything said...

and you just pulled out one of my bands too. i love the anniversary so much. theirsolo projects are good and all but nothing i have ever heard touches the anniversary.

 
At October 18, 2006 1:29 PM, Blogger Chad said...

i miss superdrag. their 1995 record was on constant rotation my senior year of high school. good times.

 
At October 18, 2006 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ditto on the love for Superdrag. They are sorely missed. Thanks for these tracks.

 
At October 18, 2006 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap, I can't believe that you just made a post on Superdrag. One of my favorite bands EVER. This is awesome.

 
At October 18, 2006 9:19 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Superdrag was great! FYI... I'm giving away a signed copy of Ben Folds new album over at CYSTSFTS. Follow this link to enter the contest.

 
At October 19, 2006 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this ep too. The Anniversary song "O Lady Butterfly" is one of Berwanger's best songs he's ever written. If you like that, you'll like the Only Children album, "Change of Living"(his project that formed with the Anniversary rythm section after they broke up). I think "Change of Living" is one of the most under rated albums released in the past 5 years.

Also I love the Superdrage song "Take Your Spectre Away". Power Pop masterpiece!

 
At October 19, 2006 3:58 PM, Blogger Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

Man, I was JUST about to post on this album tomorrow! Damn you Heather! Damn yooouuuuu!

 
At October 19, 2006 4:17 PM, Blogger chris said...

Wow, you just made me really nostalgic for Streetlight. I'm pretty sure about 60% of my collection's come from there, especially that 2.95 clearance area in the back. Between that and Rasputins up the road I lost a lot of paychecks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter