I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers: New album update & NEW acoustic show

Fuel readers may remember that my first interview in this forum was a lovely conversation with the articulate and musically passionate Roger Clyne (of The Peacemakers and The Refreshments fame). I wanted to pass along an update email from Clyne with news of a new album and their wonderful bi-annual (or is it semi-annual? two times a year) Mexico show coming up next weekend. I think you can still get tickets (anyone up for a spontaneous Mexico trip?). He's also touring (as always) in the coming months, including another stop through these Colorado parts on November 11th. Again, he always puts on an enthusiastic rock 'n' roll show, really pouring everything he's got into it. See him if you can.

I also am pleased to present two new songs and some beloved favorites performed acoustically three days ago on Arizona's Mix 96.9. Those can be found at the end of the post.


Dear Happy and Important Person,

I write you on a stormy full moon eve just a few hours before RCPM [Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers] ventures again into the recording studio to begin work on our next album. For reasons I’m apprehensive to admit, this year has streaked and sneaked by more quickly than any other I can almost remember. Here are some things I can recall. I know your time is precious, so I’ll try to keep this brief.

The first two-thirds of Roger Clyne’s year in review:
- RCPM toured when it was cold.
- I finally read “Life of Pi” and now understand why everyone kept badgering me about it.
- I can’t remember much more about the early part of the year until P.H. broke his collarbone.
- I got to outfit the whole band and crew in pirate garb and write it off!
- In May we again played our concert in Rocky Point, Mexico (in aforementioned pirate garb) where the audience (and band) consumed the most beer and spirits ever assembled in the state of Sonora in a mere 3 hours! The Sunset Cantina says it will not be caught off guard again in October. Sure, sure…
- I sailed across the Sea of Cortez. On the way back, the wind was howling and the waves were huge and there were sharks prowling around the boat. I want to go again.
- Steve and I got into a couple of big, loud fights together. I feel closer to him now.
- I climbed halfway up Mt. Rainier with Ed Viesturs and Peter Whittaker and hurt myself. Had to come down… shit. I want to go again.
- I got to tour with Cracker.
- I visited Tequila, Mexico where I believe I had a great time…(more on that as the photos develop).
- My dog taught me to run him around the block.
- I kept writing songs.

Tomorrow we’ll break ground on RCPM’s 4th studio album. We’ve Shanghaied Clif Norrell to be our producer, mixer and engineer. (He wore all those same hats when The Refreshments recorded Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy. He also played the mariachi trumpet lines on “Mexico.” I’ve asked that he bring his horn, just in case…) His job is to keep the band locked in the studio until we’ve recorded all 17 of the new songs. The studio nestles up to a very good microbrewery. Good luck, Clif.

Mexico…I’m going to live out one of my semi-adult fantasies again and play in a rock and roll band in a big dirt lot across the street from a hotel on the beach at a cantina with taco stands and cerveza and tequila and fireworks and stars the moon and throngs of friendly singing women and men and girls and girls and bad hats and good smiles and high spirits and more good stuff than I care not to punctuate…

This October, by some small milagro, we’ve managed to grow Circus Mexicus by 100% in duration. The gates to the Sunset Cantina will open on FRIDAY night, October 13th where and when our friends Shurman, Tramps & Thieves and some other special desperados will rock the joint!

On Saturday the 14th, we’ve the distinct pleasure to have Todd Snider join us to kick off the show. RCPM will inherit the remainder of the night and early morning. We’ve fooled someone, somehow, this time and did it all without anyone noticing that we didn’t raise the ticket price. Get it while you can, amigo. See you there.

Stay unbound and unwound,
Roger Clyne

*************************************************

TUNES:

Roger Clyne (guitars and vocals) & PH Naffah (drums)
Mix 96.9 Radio, Phoenix. October 4, 2006
All songs are acoustic live in-studio
01 - "Banditos"
02 - Interview
03 - "Mexico"
04 - Interview
05 - "Noisy Head" (new!)
06 - Interview
07 - "Americano!"


And a recording of another new song, from a concert in Sept 2006:

"Hello New Day" - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers

Labels:

8 Comments:

At October 07, 2006 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting all those Roger Clyne goodies (and converting them into mp3s for FLAC impaired)! And I hadn't heard "Hello New Day" yet so I owe ya for that one.

Kevin Guhl

 
At October 07, 2006 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listened to an earlier RC post today, really liked it. Looking forward to this.

 
At October 07, 2006 11:54 AM, Blogger -tom said...

whoa, the bandito song is cracker's teen angst with different lyrics

 
At October 07, 2006 10:24 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

Man! you totaly need a new banner for your website! :)

 
At October 08, 2006 1:26 PM, Blogger Stephen Kuykendall said...

Thanks, as always for posting all and everything by these guys. I'm just glad these guys are still doing what I enjoy listening to.

 
At October 09, 2006 10:42 PM, Blogger mel... said...

Gotta love the kazoo featured in "Mexico."

 
At October 09, 2006 10:45 PM, Blogger heather said...

Did you know the kazoo was invented in Macon, Georgia? One useless fact I learned while researching the common roots of Otis Redding's family & my own fam that I didn't add to the post. I love the joie de vivre that a kazoo embodies.

 
At April 26, 2007 11:17 PM, Blogger sandpaperhearts said...

Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers are on tour! Check out thier show in your area!

04/27 Allston, MA
04/28 New York, NY
04/30 Toronto, Canada
05/01 Cleveland, OH
05/03 Detroit, MI
05/04 Chicago, IL
05/05 Minneapolis, MN
05/06 Urbandale, IA
05/07 Brookings, SD
05/09 St Louis + In-Store!, MO
05/10 Kansas City, MO
05/11 Ft Collins, CO
05/12 Colorado Springs, CO
05/19 Puerto Penasco, Mexico
10/20 Rocky Point, Mexico

Their new double album NO MORE BEAUTIFUL WORLD is out now! And it comes with a full length DVD. Pick it up at www.peacetimegoods.com for only $13 bucks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter