I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Rocky Votolato: "Tinfoil Hats"

If you are worried about aliens reading your mind (and really, who isn't?), Rocky Votolato has a song just for you. Actually, despite the extraterrestial theme, I really like this song that Barsuk Records just posted up on his section of their website for public enjoyment. I recommend his entire Makers album (2006), from which this track hails. It's got a bit more of a beat than many of the other lush and dreamy acoustic plucking tunes on that album, and some wheezy harmonica. Check it out:

"Tinfoil Hats" - Rocky Votolato

Rocky is going on tour with Lucero and William Elliott Whitmore, which is going to be a great evening of music. They swing through these parts in late October and I don't think I'll be in town, unfortunately. But if I were, I'd be there with bells on.


BUY MUSIC:
Makers (via Barsuk) or other Rocky Votolato music (via eMusic). His last two releases, Suicide Medicine and Light and Sound EP, were produced by Chris Walla from Death Cab for Cutie, who also plays various instruments on the albums.


P.S. Baseball update: The Rockies won, and I did indeed freeze my butt (and toes) off. But it was great fun.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At September 24, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Trini said...

Just picked up this album a few weeks ago. I gotta give it a few more listens. I'm a fan of Mr. Voltolato but not so sure I love the entire album. I guess that's what happens when you pick up several cd's at a time. I just can't stop listening to The Swell Season, absolutely amazing.

 
At September 24, 2006 3:02 PM, Blogger Kevin said...

Trini,
Do you own any CD's from The Frames? If not, start with the "The Roads Outgrown" then "For The Birds". Both are closest sounding to "The Swell Season" AND you must see them live. One of the best in the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter