I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, August 04, 2006

New G. Love: "Hot Cookin'"


What, pray tell, is summer without some G. Love & Special Sauce playing on the radio? No kind of summer, I'll tell ya that much.

G. Love and Special Sauce hold the coveted place in my musical book of "One Of The Best Names Ever" for the self-effacing and lighthearted brilliance of their moniker. Just try and tell someone what concert you are going to when Garrett and crew roll into town without smiling.

Here is the first single off G. Love's new album Lemonade (Brushfire Records) which features guest appearances from the usual suspects (and some new ones): Ben Harper, Jack Johnson, Marc Broussard, Blackalicious, Tristan Prettyman, Donavon Frankenreiter, and more.


Hot Cookin' - G. Love & Special Sauce

Kevin at So Much Silence has the fun G. Love & Blackalicious track from this album: "Banger"

I'll have to give the whole album a fair shake, but I must say -- as much as I would really like to like this song, I find it a bit on the b-o-r-i-n-g side. Yes, it is has a good mellow groove, but it's almost as if he's just pumpin' out the same kinds of songs without that edge and that sass of some of his previous releases. No one has ever listened to G. Love to find the meaning of the universe, but he's laid down his bluesy share of clever rhymes, sick harmonica, and unique (kickass) beats.

Here are some of my favorites:

Booty Call
(from The Hustle, ridiculously fun)


Baby's Got Sauce
(from G. Love & Special Sauce)


and, my favorite slightly-guilty pleasure:

Cold Beverage (from G. Love & Special Sauce)




Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge.

Stick in IN the fridge.


As for me, I've been invited to drop in on this today. Sounds pretty cool, huh? Yeah, that's what I thought. It's a big step up for me in terms of conferences - the ones I am used to going to have session topics like "New H1-B Immigration Visa Rules" and "Health & Safety Action Plans: What YOU Need To Know Now." While those were all good in their time, this thoroughly-saturated musicfied environment will be most enjoyable.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 04, 2006 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That G. Love album is already out, at least in Canada.

 
At August 04, 2006 9:35 PM, Blogger Natsthename said...

I want to like G Love so much, but Jack Johnson and Donovan Frankenreiter spoiled it for me!

 
At August 04, 2006 9:59 PM, Blogger Trini said...

G Love just came by the LBC my favorite little indie shop "Fingerprints"ftzc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter