I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, July 01, 2006

New Bright Eyes songs & album news

Once you get past some of the occasional warbling, self-indulgent musical ramblings of this 20-something storytelling "prodigy," I think Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes has some really really good stuff. On his I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning CD from 2005, a few of those songs have burned holes through my speakers from overlistening: the rollicking goodness of "Another Travelin' Song," the lovely "Landlocked Blues" duet with Emmylou Harris, and the kind-of-overplayed radio hit, but raw & sweet-sentimented "First Day Of My Life."

With Oberst, the stunning lyrics ("And the sidewalk holds diamonds like a jewelry store case, they argue walk this way, no, walk this way") combine with the occasional "Wait, what did he say?" lyric ("I dreamed a prostituted child touching an old man in a fast food crowd.")

Anyway, enough of my rambling, here are two new songs that he played at Bonnaroo (June 14):

"Soul Singer In The Session Band" - Bright Eyes

"Four Winds" - Bright Eyes

News about a Spring 2007 release from Bright Eyes on Saddle Creek is here, featuring collaborations with Gillian Welch, Sleater-Kinney drummer Janet Weiss and M. Ward.

Oh, and am I the only one who hears that line from "Total Eclipse of the Heart" in my head everytime I type Bright Eyes? ("Turn around, bright eyes - EVERY NOW AND THEN I FALL APART")

2 Comments:

At July 01, 2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Gamer C. said...

"Anyway, enough of my rambling"

But that's the main reason I like reading blog.

I like the Soul Singer In The Session song. Listening to it makes me day dream about child-hood (I don't know why.)

 
At July 02, 2006 8:58 PM, Blogger Eric said...

"...and I need you more than ever..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter