I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, July 10, 2006

Lemonheads new album release date & confirmed tracklisting

This just goes to show that all the best albums are, clearly, recorded in Colorado:

"THE LEMONHEADS SELF-TITLED DISC DUE OUT SEPTEMBER 26, 2006 (US)

The Lemonheads have just announced a September 26th, 2006 release date for the group's first new album in almost 10 years. The self-titled disc will be released on Vagrant Records and was co-produced by Evan Dando and drummer Bill Stevenson (Descendents, Black Flag) and was recorded at Stevenson's Blasting Room studios in Ft. Collins, CO earlier this year. Joining the two was bass player Karl Alvarez (Descendents) along with special guests Garth Hudson and J Mascis on select tracks.

The Lemonheads are planning a U.S. tour for the fall (!!!), but fans in the U.K. will get to see the band this month at the Lattitude Festival in Suffolk on July 14th and on July 16th at Somerset House in London. The current touring band includes Dando with Josh Lattanzi (bass) and John Kent (drums)."

Dando says of this new effort that it is "louder, faster, more like BUZZCOCKS pop-punk-and way less introspective" (which sounds great to me). When asked why he wanted to release a Lemonheads album, he told NME "I wanted to make a rock record, a melodic rock record. Also, I'm sick of selling solo T-shirts."

The Lemonheads track listing:
Black Gown
Become The Enemy
Pittsburgh
Let's Just Laugh
Poughkeepsie
Rule of Three
No Backbone (Smudge cover)
Baby's Home
In Passing
Steve's Boy
December

Well, I don't have any of those new songs, not even live versions, so we can't post that. However, as you can see, one of the songs on the new Lemonheads album is a cover of a Smudge tune, so I sought that out for you. And omigosh, this song was WRITTEN just to be sung by Evan Dando. It is fulfilling its tiny musical destiny by being on this new album (Smudge is fronted by vocalist/guitarist Tom Morgan who co-authored The Lemonheads '92 album It's A Shame About Ray, among other Lemonheads tunes). Take a listen:

No Backbone - Smudge

Now when the new album comes out, you can be like "Oh, do you want to hear the original Smudge song that they covered? I've got it here on my iPod."

Labels:

2 Comments:

At July 10, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Funny. I actually own two Smudge records. Tom from Smudge and Evan wrote a lot of songs together if I recall...

 
At July 10, 2006 11:53 PM, Blogger Robert Cass said...

I'm really looking forward to this one. I mean, after "car button cloth" we had to wait six and a half years for new, original Dando material. This time we only had to wait three and a half. I can't wait to hear "the voice" once again.

If you're a fan, go to www.evandando.co.uk. The people who run this site do a great job. (No, I'm not one of those people. I promise.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter