I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

National Emo Kid Beatdown Day

Someone with too much time on their hands has designated today (06/06/06) as the official National Emo Kid Beatdown Day, according to various sketchy MySpace pages. Here is a handy guide. Please note that the author of this site does not condone any actual emo violence. As Dashboard Confessional reminds us, "I can bend and not break. Or I can break and take it with a smile. I am so resilient. I recover quickly. I'll convince you soon that i am fine . . . So won't you hold me now? Won't you hold me now?"

That picture would have ground my gears when I was in high school. You know, that angsty time period when you are trying to figure out who you are - and you have this enormous chip on your shoulder like "No one can quantify me. Popular media cannot LABEL me!"

Also, if I currently have the same Docs as the girl in the picture, does that mean *I* am emo? I never even knew.

That reminds me of a hilarious freshman-year note that my friend Shannon made for me while "bored in SSR" (Silent Sustained Reading period every day after 3rd period). I came across it recently in a box of stuff (I don't throw anything away), and it nicely encapsulates both the fashion trends circa 1993, as well as the apparent horrors of conformity & groupie-ism to a 14-year old.


Thanks to the Ledbelly blog for the heads up on such an important national holiday.

10 Comments:

At June 06, 2006 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beat on the brat with a baseball bat, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh oh oh, oh

 
At June 06, 2006 9:38 AM, Blogger Lolabola* said...

too funny that you still have that

 
At June 06, 2006 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a more recent emo identifier:

http://www.dobi.nu/emo/girls.htm

 
At June 06, 2006 10:02 AM, Blogger Tim Young said...

I'm definately a flippin' emo :(

 
At June 06, 2006 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

now for something really sweet...
Live Radiohead ala Bradleys Almanac:
http://www.bradleysalmanac.com/blogger.html

 
At June 06, 2006 1:44 PM, Blogger c said...

i have those docs, too!

 
At June 06, 2006 4:28 PM, Blogger Eric said...

As a former emo-kid (sorta) and current emo-adult (minus everything trendy) I take only a little offense to this post. Mostly it makes me laugh.

 
At June 06, 2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Ledbelly said...

wow, thanks for the plug. i was wondering why my hits went up so high. thanks heather! but who cares. i have the 'emo' glasses, not my fault i cant see. i had them way back in the day anyways.

 
At June 06, 2006 6:55 PM, Blogger Rich said...

All I have to say:

Mary Janes = hawt

 
At November 14, 2007 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

basturd im a emo mwhahahahahahahahahahaha
and im a happy person

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter