I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Monday, June 05, 2006

Monday Music Roundup

So, I think Kenny Rogers goes to my gym. I was watching this man (either him or like HIS TWIN) do extremely fast ninja squats yesterday while I mulled over the choices for the Monday Music Roundup with my iPod on the freaking Stairmaster. He had cat-like speed and reflexes. Who knew?

"Chatterbox"
David Mead
This is pretty much the most ridiculously infectious and happy pop song I have heard in a while, from Nashville songwriter David Mead. I defy you to not be happy listening to this. I bought the whole Tangerine album on eMusic (click the banner on the right if you wanna sheck it out) and have been quite pleased. Interesting, intelligent instrumentation, catchy as all get out. I also love the completely different feel in the stripped vocal goodness of the track "Reminded #1."


"Golden Age" (Beck cover)
KT Tunstall
A lovely Beck cover from the KT Tunstall website-only release Acoustic Extravaganza, recorded over the holidays on the Scottish isle of Skye. One forgets that tiny Beck also has an introspective side to some of his songs, and here Tunstall takes it and suffuses the tune with the warm & rosy glow of sunrise.


"Non-Entity"
The Chesterfield Kings
Well, folks, The Chesterfield Kings (oldies that I have never heretofore heard of, from Rochester NY) enter the running and there is now a three-way tie for "Best Rolling Stones Song In Recent Years NOT By The Rolling Stones" (tie with the Deadstring Brothers and the new Primal Scream). This is not a bad thing - I think there is ALWAYS room for a little sloppy bluesy harmonica rock 'n' roll, yes? Also on the album (The Mindbending Sounds of the Chesterfield Kings) notably enjoyable tracks are the delightfully Beatles-inspired "Somewhere Nowhere" and "Transparent Life." Please IGNORE the horrific hairstyles - this is not Whitesnake, even if they look like it. Someone get a pair of clippers, I'll cut their damn hair myself.


"Landed (with strings)"
Ben Folds
I like Ben Folds because of his quirky and honest voice (it's not traditionally beautiful, but stirring and transparent in its ordinariness) and his absolutely lush & gorgeous piano orchestration. This version of Landed (a bonus track on some editions of Songs for Silverman) goes on and adds insult to beautiful injury by heaping on some delicately rich strings. Will make you ache.


"Song No. 6"
(featuring Ron Sexsmith)

Ane Brun
This American debut from Scandinavian songbird Ane Brun (A Temporary Dive, V2 Records) caught my eye initially because of this track, a collaboration with my newfound hero Ron Sexsmith. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by the entire disc (Pitchfork gave it a 7.7, if that means anything), even though it is driving me to the Cliffs of Insanity to not be able to peg who her voice is a dead ringer for in the opening lines of this song. HELP? Oh no, is it Norah Jones? I think it's Norah Jones that she reminds me of. Oh dear. Well, her album is NOT a Norah Jones facsimile, she is in a totally different vein. Good smattering of stuff on eMusic for her too.


BONUS:
After my live Eels post last week, Jethro commented that the cover they do of Sophie B. Hawkins' lusty slow jam "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" was hilarious. And indeed it is. For your listening pleasure (and worth it just to hear E sing "give you something sweet each time you come inside my jungle book") -

"Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" - Eels

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At June 05, 2006 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the blog. As for the Chesterfield Kings, there's a lot to be mined there. I had thought them to be long defunct, until they turned up on The Sopranos. Little Steven's influence, I suspect.

 
At June 06, 2006 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know about everyone else, but my first thought upon hearing anne brun was that she sounded like Joanna Newsom.

 
At June 06, 2006 6:47 PM, Blogger Rich said...

I just taped two David Mead shows in ATL. They'll be up on the Live Music Archive soon.

Also, huzzah on the Chesterfield Kings and Eels. Woohoo.

 
At June 07, 2006 3:15 AM, Blogger lil m said...

I once bought a used copy of Van Halen's "Women & Children First" from a furiously coiffed member of the mighty Chesterfield Kings working the register in the basement at The House of Guitars many years ago when Reagen was president.

Glad to know that the rock don't stop...

 
At June 07, 2006 9:54 AM, Blogger dr. ross thompson said...

Have you seen this?

http://www.menwholooklikekennyrogers.com/

 
At June 07, 2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather, great post today. Congrats on the high Hype Machine placement. Also: "So, I think Kenny Rogers goes to my gym," may be the best first line of a novel in years.

 
At June 09, 2006 11:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn, i wish i was your..... (insert word here)

thanks for this heather.

theres also a bluegrass version called, "DANG, i wish i was your mother..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter