I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Take My Mama Out

My mom rocks. There will surely be a lot of maternal affirmation floating around on the blogosphere this weekend, so why not add a bit to it and boast about how great my particular mother is?

This is the email she sent me, my sister, and my brother on Thursday:

"Let's start a tradition this year that I do not need any Mother's Day gifts. All of you are on budgets and I don't want you to have to bust your budget for me. What means the most to me to receive a card from you with whatever heartfelt sentiment you want to include. That's the best.

Unless Taylor Hicks comes to Denver. Then I want tickets.

Love,
Mom"


How could you NOT LOVE THAT?


Here's a few tunes for you, Mom. Sorry, I know your first choices, but I just didn't have "If I Had A Hammer" by Peter, Paul, and Mary on my computer.

"Take Your Mama (Hot Chip remix)" - The Scissor Sisters
(worth noting in this song, when it sings about getting your mom jacked up on cheap champagne and letting the good times all hang out? For my mom, that would be about half a glass. Then, she'd be red-faced and talking louder. After two glasses of alcohol, she will stand up on her chair at the behest of the DJ and dance, as we once did in Cancun. It was fabulous. It is from her that I inherited all of my mad drinking skills.)

"That Was Your Mother" - Paul Simon

"Tell Yer Momma" - Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers

"Motorcycle Mama" (Sailcat cover) - The Sugarcubes

"Wouldn't Mama Be Proud" - Elliott Smith

"Mama Said Knock You Out" - LL Cool J
(My mama never said that, but maybe LL's did, which is what led him down such a sordid career path. My dad did regularly tell me not to spit on any boys. Seriously. And I never have).

"Mother's Day" - Nada Surf

"Decatur, or, Round of Applause for Your Step Mother!" - Sufjan Stevens
(a little love for the blended family matriarch)


And finally . . .

"I'll Always Love My Mama" - The Intruders
Thanks to Bruce for posting this great soul tune


HERE'S TO MY MOM!

7 Comments:

At May 14, 2006 9:24 AM, Blogger andy grabia said...

No "Stacy's Mom"?

 
At May 15, 2006 3:09 AM, Blogger sca said...

woah! "If I had a hammer..." would be your mom's first choice? it seems she was a child of this pre-soft-pop-punk-era in her younger years.

:-)

Good choice of tunes, thanks so far.

 
At May 15, 2006 5:07 PM, Blogger Chief Scientist said...

My mum grew up a big Pete Seeger fan and I did "The Hammer Song" for her. So here, since you can't the find P, P, and M version ... your mum can have my version too:

Hammer Song.

 
At May 16, 2006 7:11 AM, Blogger Trouble said...

This is a great, great post, and I'm extremely envious of your relationship with your mom which looks extremely close and very cool.

 
At May 17, 2006 2:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great mix! I love The Intruder's one - my mom too. thx a lot and good to know there are so many people they love their moms. ;)

 
At May 21, 2006 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya... This is one HOT MAMA... especially when those "flashes" occur in the middle of the nite? I gotta say she is one wonderful, amazing, talented and graceful Lady. I am so thankful that our wonderful God gave her to me, and has gifted us with THREE wonderful kids...

But, how did they ever get to be so amazing? Well, no doubt cause they have such an awesome MAMA.

Dadoo

 
At May 28, 2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Maria Leinen Photography said...

You are my hero! I haven't heard the Sugarcubes version of Motorcycle Mama since 1991. I bought Elektra's 40th Anniversary CD in tape form and within 7 months, the tape fried and I've never been able to find a copy of it since then..... THANK YOU!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter