I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS

...we've got the means to make amends. I am lost, I'm no guide, but I'm by your side. (Pearl Jam, Leash)

Friday, May 05, 2006

New Soul Asylum: "Stand Up And Be Strong"

While we are on the topic of '80s and '90s bands from Minnesota, Soul Asylum also has a new album, Silver Lining, coming up. Due out July 11th, the new album was recorded exclusively in the Twin Cities, and is released as a tribute of sorts to late bass player Karl Mueller who died shortly after recording the album. Replacing Mueller is Tommy Stinson, of none other than Replacements fame. It's a Minnesota thing.

"Stand Up And Be Strong" - Soul Asylum

I find it funny that someone just left this precise comment on my blog:
"Kudos to MPLS. Thanks for the Mats, Husker Du, & Soul Asylum & that Purple Rain guy, too. It will be hard for any of these acts to reform and be vital I'm afraid. Nostalgia is a mixed bag & the sign of a dying culture." The vitalogy (is that a word? or just a PJism?) of Soul Asylum's new stuff remains to be seen, but I know that I loved Dave Pirner and his unique whine in high school. You can stream a few other tracks from their new album over on their website.

5 Comments:

At May 05, 2006 6:05 PM, Blogger James L. Jazz said...

wait soul aslyum got a huge black dude? i bet he's the bass player
/stereotyping

 
At May 05, 2006 7:15 PM, Blogger James L. Jazz said...

oh shnap n/m it's michael bland....he's drummed for everyone from the backstreet boys and prince ...well...to soul asylum

 
At May 05, 2006 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard a few of the tunes, and they all sound great! Being a Minneapolis native, I may be biased to any of our bands. It is worth noting that the whole album was recorded with bassist Karl Mueller before he died. And talks of Tommy Stinson joining. And speaking of Stinson, I wanted to thank you for doing such a great job with all the Mats news. You have a great blog, and I always look forward to your new posts!

 
At May 07, 2006 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have given props to Dylan, but he was from Duluth, & I was thanking MPLS.

 
At May 07, 2006 8:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob Dylan & Minnesota
1941-1948 Duluth
1948-1959 Hibbing
1959-1961 Minneapolis

1961- Moved to NYC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Stats tracked by StatCounter